My (not what I thought it would be) Journey With Chickens

I put some lineolum on the roof and it leaks some when it rains hard. But not alot!

Zoe is doing good nd super xute. By the way i am on a kindle touch, that is hy there are some mistakes.
UPDATES:

Buddy: crowing less frequently!!! He also trys to mate the pullets. He is almost 12 weeks old.

Hedwig: still pretty flighyl.... and smaart. she is also heavy. a looks funny wiyth her puffy cheeks.

Bailry d Bitsy: Noy muxh news... .. they are scared of Buddy , Bitsy won't go near hm.... not for hw life!!

I will do the little xhicks lter. enjoy!!!

Hi! It has been awhile, my apoliges! But, I have good reason, my grandma is visiting AND we are building a permanat chicken coop!! Can I get a 'woot, woot!'?

Anyways, Buddy is in isolation, mating every and ANY chicken he sees, even poor Mr.Fly and Prince Charming! :( He can still see the chickens and go outside but he can't get to them!)
Whilst in his isolation, he has developed a taste for fig bars, yes fig bars! The only thing he is NEVER picky about. He will eat anything in a good mood!
He also tried to roost on top of his dog crate last night, almost got away with it, the little stinker! Here is a flash of Buddy from a few days ago, before he was isolated.
He got my pullet super scared, and he was going to mate her... until he saw me, of course!

The chickens will move into the new coop soon! Eggciting! I'll have to post some finished pictures!

Hedwig is still pretty flighty and super smart. Bailey and Bitsy are good, Bitsy is recovering from some damages from Buddy:

Then the little ones are 99% sure to be Roosters!
he.gif

Here they are: What do you think? BTW they are all 6 weeks

Mr. Fly:

Prince Charming or Snowhite?

Frodo:

Sam (Samantha or Samuel??)

More Frodo:

The coop is 48sq feet, this is the list of stuff we will be going to get at TSC for it soon:

Watering Nipples
Coop N Compost
Chick Starter Kit (On Clearence!)
Chicken Treat Ball (On Clearnece!)
Meal Worms
Behrens Utility Pan
Feeder for 5-15 birds
Shavings

Pretty awesome, right!? I hope everything is in stock!

Anyways, if anyone is in VA near Culpeper who wants a Leghorn Rooster, PM me!

I just found this thread and have enjoyed reading it. Learned a lot too. Such a cute little baby. Congrats big sis'!

Can't wait to see pics of your coop. Are you using pallets to make it? I have a lot of pallets available to me and have wondered if I could incorporate them into my chicken yard.

My teenage daughter & I just started keeping chickens this year and we have no clue what we are doing but are getting educated through BYC. It's such an amazing resource.
Hi PrettyGirl! Thanks for readiing, I hope you continue to even though I am a little slack on the updates! We are not using pallets to make it, but I know a lot of people do. One deciding factor was when I learned pallets are bad for chickens, you may be able to incorporate them into toys or use really nice ones for your girls, but here is the article about pallets for you to read: http://www.organicauthority.com/sanctuary/repurposed-wood-pallet-toxic.html and http://www.bricksandbaubles.com/2012/08/hidden-danger-of-wood-pallet-upcycling.html

Of course it is up to you to decide, but just some food for thought there! We were thinking about using pallets for some stuff though, and gasp, currently my chickens are in a temp. coop made out of pallets, but that was before I knew, and they really needed one. But they won't be in there much longer!
But many people have used pallets, maybe you could find someone that did on BYC and ask them how their coop worked, if any chickens died seeminly unkown or got dieseases ect.

Yes, BYC is amazing! There is almost always something or someone to talk to or answer! If you have any more questions just ask!

Last edited:
I have NO idea on sexing. I have silkies and they aren't old enough to attempt to sex yet! I hope your enjoying your sister, grandma, and building the coop!

I'm sorry. My mom is making me delete my account! I'll sneak back on through a new one though! You guys are the best and I don't know what I would do without you!

Back
Top Bottom