My Own Dogs

BolenBrood

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
Idaho
Just put my new chicks out in their coop and my two dogs will not leave them alone! They are biting the hardwire and circling the coop and barking! It is driving me crazy and making me nervous. Any suggestions? I thought about an invisible fence that would zap the dogs but they are expensive. I can't use an electric fence because I have little kids.
he.gif

Is there a way you can try to use one of those sensors that attach to a hose? When something crosses the beam the sprinkler turns on for a minute. I don't remember exactly what they are called.

My dog did that when we first put our chickens nearer to his yard. He barked everytime they came out of the coop Now he couldn't be bothered Once they realize they can't get them they will leave them alone. It may take afew days but they will get used to each other.

It takes time for some dogs, and there are those who will never learn. Our two labs never seemed to notice, but our mutt went nuts when we first brought home a chicken. I thought he would never settle down. After the barking/jumping phase ended, he would sit outside the pen and drool.

We thought it was hopeless, but after a month of constant reprimands he started ignoring the chicken. Eventually, we were letting the two wander around in the yard to gether. Unfortunately, it seems each new chicken has to go through the 1 month adjustment period.

2 of my dogs adjusted fairly fast ........the ones I have had longer...my newer one,the Doberman loves to chase and nip, she has learned not to do that now,and I trust her as far as I can throw her
big_smile.png
but it is one of my older dogs........who never acted interested in the chicks........well, she is the sneaky one.....never has gone after them, but I do find her licking her lips.......circling the pen........so I watch them ALL all the time........they are dogs after all and this is natural behaviour.......beware of the quiet ones
wink.png

Last edited:
I have 6 american bulldogs. I also have chickens. It only seems to be my youngest male that wanted to mess with the birds. Being that they stay in a kennel and are only let out to exercise I would put up the young male if he messed with the birds. He started to realize after about 6 - 8 times that he lost his running privalage if he messed with the birds. Now I let him out and runs the other way.

We have two dogs who don't play well with birds, chickens, anything but themselves. I'm afraid that they will try to attack my chickens. Is it true that chickens can actually die of fright, like if the dogs are trying to attack them, even if they're safe inside their cage?
ep.gif

I don't think so. Before I built my coop for the new birds I had our pet rooster in a small chicken wire pen. A 125 lb bulldog can walk right through that. I have pryed jaws open on 2-3 occasions to save roadrunner. He is still alive and a lot safer in his new home

Back
Top Bottom