My pekin girls will not sit on their eggs :(

Peekkiinn

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 20, 2014
Perth
As the title sais..I have 2 pekin ducks and a drake.. they are all roughly 1 and a bit years old..
They have been laying their eggs since about 6 months, but refuse to sit and brood :( was really hoping for ducklings but do not want to incubate them as I'm inexperienced and could not stand starting something and it going horribly wrong !
Is there any way I can get them to sit ??

As the title sais..I have 2 pekin ducks and a drake.. they are all roughly 1 and a bit years old..
They have been laying their eggs since about 6 months, but refuse to sit and brood
sad.png
was really hoping for ducklings but do not want to incubate them as I'm inexperienced and could not stand starting something and it going horribly wrong !
Is there any way I can get them to sit ??
Thanks
smile.png
Some have had the rare opportunity of having their Pekin sit and hatch their ducklings but most don't. Alot of domestic breeds that were bred for egg laying have had the broodiness bred right out of them so it's not your girls fault. Have you left their eggs in the nest till they have built a clutch? and other option would be besides a bator is getting another domestic duck that likes to brood Muscovy's come to mind, I have them and trying to keep them from not brooding is as big a problem as not being able to get a Pekin to brood. Not much we can do with either problem.

Some have had the rare opportunity of having their Pekin sit and hatch their ducklings but most don't. Alot of domestic breeds that were bred for egg laying have had the broodiness bred right out of them so it's not your girls fault. Have you left their eggs in the nest till they have built a clutch? and other option would be besides a bator is getting another domestic duck that likes to brood Muscovy's come to mind, I have them and trying to keep them from not brooding  is as big a problem as not being able to get a Pekin to brood. Not much we can do with either problem.

Thanks for replying :)
That is such a shame! I really would like ducklings but I guess I'll have to buy them if so :p or get another duck :D I do have two silver appleyards but they don't dare go near the pekin girls nest haha

Back
Top Bottom