my pet chicken help

tkwilliams83

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Hi everyone so I need some help. I'm pretty new to chicken I have 2 at the moment that are about 15 weeks. I ordered some from my pet chicken in February and received them yesterday morning which I was very excited but unfortunately 5 were all dead only one survived the travel but she was very week and with all the love and food and water I couldn't get her better :( she died also last night around 7 PM I'm so upset with this sight I understand 1 or 2 not making it but all 6 PLEASE HELP any concerns ideas would be appreciated

Stress can impact young chickens very strongly, especially during travel. With the fact that all of it's sisters/brothers had died may have caused even more stress on the chick. I'm so sorry for your loss, three of my chickens were attacked by possums/raccoons.
hit.gif
My advice for this situation is not to order them online. Talk to someone right down the road from you and order locally. This decreases the risk of death and stress.
roll.png
and welcome to BYC, I'm pretty new as well

Oh no, that's terrible. I'm sorry your had to go though that. I have never ordered through My Pet Chicken, but I think that I read that they work with other hatcheries to fulfill their orders (but I am not sure). Of course you should report the losses. Many hatcheries are good about replacing or reimbursing for chickens who did not make it alive. Did you order certain breeds that are less common? Is that why you had to wait several months after ordering for the delivery?

Check out this thread for other experiences with My Pet Chicken and to add you review:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/667507/my-pet-chicken-reviews/30

BTW, I have ordered chicks and ducks through the mail and had no losses, so this does not always happen with mail order.

Last edited:
Thank you for your fast response. I ordered a bantam silkie, that's why I had to order months in advance high in demand. I'm going to look in too ordering local I just can't bare loosing my baby girls. I'm sorry you lost your girls :( I haven't decided if I'm getting reimbursement or trying it one more time. I will let you all know. I have contacted moc and it seems like something happened to alot of the chicks that were sent out yesterday.

Thank you me too. I might just buy local I would rather end up with a roo than sick baby chicks. :)

welcome-byc.gif

Unfortunately, this just isn't the best time of year to ship chicks due to the heat. If you're going to get replacements, I'd wait until fall to get them shipped.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
hit.gif

My one and only experience with My Pet Chicken was VERY positive. They are a hatchery middle-man, my order was fulfilled through Meyers out of Polk, OH. Shipping stress seems to be the #1 killer of mail-order chicks and I watched the progression of my package from Polk, OH to Manassas, VA like a hawk. They were only in transit about 20 hours in early June (not too hot, not too cold) and 5 of 6 arrived safely and thriving. The one that had issues (stress) was nursed back from death's door by my very patient, attentive wife and is now thriving in our little flock.

You don't have your location information in your profile and don't specify where your chicks originated from or how long they were in-transit. MPC should have sent you transit information on your package with an origin city which one could toss into Google to deduce the hatchery the chicks came from. I almost lost 16% of my order from a short 20 hour trip in very fair weather. Time, temperature and USPS handling are the key variables in how much loss one can expect with mail-order. I would immediately notify MPC of the losses (for credit) and try again. Based on my experience and others I've read about, that kind of loss from MPC is the exception and not the norm.

Thank you for you feed back I contacted mpc and they did say this is not normal I live in colorado springs. The trip for the chicks was less than 24 hours. I believe that mpc had many losses this week. And they are investigating the situation. Based on what customer service said. I just felt so bad. How did your wife get your chick better?

Back
Top Bottom