my pet chicken reviews

Pics
thumbsup.gif

Our little guys are running around, very vibrant and energetic - then they just drop to sleep for a few minutes.

Pretty funny aren't they? Though, my younger daughter did that once, fell asleep trying to crawl over my wife. The older one fell asleep "creeping" along the sofa. They were so cute back then
wink.png

Happy to report no pasty-butts!

Yet. Not saying that to make you worry, only that they MIGHT develop it later so keep an eye on their fluffy little butts
big_smile.png
We had two that pasted up a bit when they were a few days old. Nothing a little time and a lot of warm water Q-tips couldn't deal with.

All in all, happy with the chicks' outcome - unhappy with the USPS taking 22 hours to go 40 minutes' distance with clear weather and roads. They admitted fault.

I guess I lucked out (Ideal in TX, not MPC) with the PO. Hatched on the 11th, shipped air mail on the 12th, arrived at my local PO at 5:30 AM on the 13th, as scheduled. The one thing I DIDN'T get was an email saying they had shipped - VERY ANNOYING!

Anyway, congrats on your new chickens and glad all came out well except for YOUR trauma!

Bruce

Two days ago I got another shipment in of hatching eggs from Murray McMurray. I went with them because my sister bought the same ones and was happy with them. They overnighted them with Fedex. I didn't know you could do that, cause I thought the PO was the only ones who'd ship eggs. You could tell Fedex was rough with them, cause they were scattered in the box and had wobbly air cells, but they arrived the next day. That's more than okay, cause I can get good hatches from wobbly air cells, as long as the membrane is still intact. Murray McMurray packed very well using vermiculite as cushioning. Despite that, I had to throw 4 eggs away, because 3 were cracked, and 1 was scrambled (air cell all over the place). That's okay, too, cause I got 6 extra. The quality of the eggs was amazing. Clean eggs, shells are solid, just really good. And you can tell they gave me a good variety of the assortment. The funny part is that I received a voicemail from MPC on the same day -ONE MONTH AFTER my complaint. You got to be kidding me! I've already gotten my fill of chicks and hatching eggs this past month, so I don't see the point in talking to them. I don't plan on buying anymore chicks or hatching eggs, cause I'm going to breed from what I already have, so them sending out more eggs or giving me a discount on my next order wouldn't do me any good. I don't lose any sleep over it, and I'm very happy with the few deformed Buff Orps that did hatch. None of my other chickens are missing a toenail or have feathers coming in all cockamamied. They're unique. I just hope they're good egg layers.

We're developing a relationship and I'm starting to see different personalities and SO many changes, even in just a few days' time!
big_smile.png

Yep, that is what they do! See them in the morning when they are a few days old and again in the evening, and "WHOA Wing feathers!!"

They instinctively know to scratch for food, put themselves to bed when it starts to get dark (unlike children) and a whole bunch of other stuff. Very amazing little creatures.

I'm sure you'll be posting pictures on BYC
wink.png

Two days ago I got another shipment in of hatching eggs from Murray McMurray.
You could tell Fedex was rough with them, cause they were scattered in the box and had wobbly air cells, but they arrived the next day.
Murray McMurray packed very well using vermiculite as cushioning. Despite that, I had to throw 4 eggs away, because 3 were cracked, and 1 was scrambled (air cell all over the place).

I don't plan on hatching eggs, but a question:

If they were packed well wouldn't they be SOLIDLY encased such that it wouldn't matter if the were carefully handled or through the trip put on all 6 sides of their carton? I would think they would fare much better in a cardboard egg carton with protection around it than just packed in vermiculite.

Bruce

I agree, they could have done a better job with packing. The vermiculite cushioned them pretty well, but didn't hold them in place.

MyPetChicken is not a hatchery; they dropship poultry from Meyer Hatchery. Therefore, they carry Meyer Hatchery stock. I've never ordered from them, but I know that.

MyPetChicken is not a hatchery; they drop ship poultry from Meyer Hatchery. Therefore, they carry Meyer Hatchery stock. I've never ordered from them, but I know that.

I will be driving within about 7 miles of Myers in June.

Must control urge to steer car left on the way home. Control, control, control.

Heck they probably aren't open for pickup on Sunday anyway, right?

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom