My poor serama

tonyschicks

Chirping
Apr 17, 2015
Homestead Florida
Hi everyone
New to posting on BYC and love this sight. I've always come here to have my questions answered just by looking at past posts. This is my first time posting. So my question is, I bought a few Malaysian seramas from jerry in LA a few weeks ago 2 hens 1 roo. They were suppose to be last years birds so that would put them at at least a year old. My problem is I have witnessed the hen is pulling out the Roos neck feathers and he has a nice bare spot on one side. I just saw her going for the back feathers also. Only one hen and roo in a 4'x4'x3' pen/cage. I just started giving them vitamins and a mineral powder in their water and also increased protein in their feed. Am I missing something?

Don't overmedicate!!! Plain water and a grower feed like Flock Raiser, and oyster shell on the side. Switch out the hens? Is there some reason that they aren't all together? More space! You can apply a product like Blue Kote to his skin (lightly), in case it helps. Some birds just like to do this behavior, and their flock mates let it happen. I have rehomed bad feather pickers occasionally. If it's a diet or crowding problem things will get better. Are the lights on too long? Too bright? Any stress could encourage this behavior. Mary

Don't overmedicate!!!  Plain water and a grower feed like Flock Raiser, and oyster shell on the side.  Switch out the hens?  Is there some reason that they aren't all together?  More space!  You can apply a product like Blue Kote to his skin (lightly), in case it helps.  Some birds just like to do this behavior, and their flock mates let it happen.  I have rehomed bad feather pickers occasionally.  If it's a diet or crowding problem things will get better.  Are the lights on too long?  Too bright?  Any stress could encourage this behavior.  Mary

Thanks so much for the reply.
I removed the other hen because she was aggressive when it came time to feed. I mixed in a small portion of my quail feed thats higher in protein to see if it helps. No light. I thought my cage was big enough for them?

Well... I would assume she's doing that because they're stuck in a small area and getting stressed. I have a bird like that, she keeps pecking everyone but that's just her nature. She doesn't peck so bad it bleeds though. They do try to go for the feathers when they're stressed or if I don't let them out for a while... Do you let them free range once in a while? That might help... =)
Also, feed stores have a little bottle named pick-no-more (I think), I've never used it but you could try that as a last resort.

Good luck with the situation... and Welcome to BYC!
smile.png

Well... I would assume she's doing that because they're stuck in a small area and getting stressed. I have a bird like that, she keeps pecking everyone but that's just her nature. She doesn't peck so bad it bleeds though. They do try to go for the feathers when they're stressed or if I don't let them out for a while... Do you let them free range once in a while? That might help... =)
Also, feed stores have a little bottle named pick-no-more (I think), I've never used it but you could try that as a last resort.

Good luck with the situation... and Welcome to BYC! :)

I didn't think they needed that much space considering they weigh about 13 ounces. No, haven't let them out to free range yet since I've only had them for a couple of weeks and letting get use to their surroundings. Thanks you for your reply and I'll go by my feed store and get a bottle of that

now! I forgot you were talking about seramas. I was thinking a standard chicken... oh yes then that should be more than enough space...
and that reminds me, I have a guinea situation just like that. The chickens have been pecking the fluff out of the keets' necks! =/ Gotta take care of that this week end =D

So here's an update. I went Saturday to the feed store and purchased pick-no-more lotion and applied it to the Roos neck. Something worked because I haven't seen anymore feather missing, of course I did up the protein and added a vitamin/mineral in their water. Not sure what did it but I'm happy that it seems like it stopped. The hen also started laying. Would that mean she had less stress now?

Back
Top Bottom