My Pvc Chicken Coop Project

No. You just bend them over. The joints are 20' long. So to adjust the pipe to the height you want just bend it a little more or a little less. I thing heat is used to bend pvc pipe to make a joint or a circle or something out of short pieces. Because short pieces don't bend.

Very ingenious!
Shows a lot of ingenuity.
Seems very sturdy and yet looks light and easy to move.
Good job suzeeg!
I would stake the bottom if you are prone to high winds in your area.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am surrounded by woods and the pen faces East to West. So I have not had any wind issues. I love my pens. They are easy to maintain and actually if you spray paint the white pipes it is protected from the Uv from the sun. I love the idea that you can make any size and the possibilities are endless. For nests I used white plastic stacking baskets from the dollar store and screw them into the frame of the pen and place a little plastic support pole underneath.

The first pen I made I secured it with some little sheet metal screws. The second pen I built I simply used zip ties. Thanks.

I love your design, planning to start building one this week! Thanks for posting
smile.png

I'm just starting to research PVC myself, and this is really promising. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, where lumber goes to rot. Not to mention how much cheaper this is.

I'm concerned about securing it, as we recently lost a hen to a predator (probably coon or possum) but it looks like going overkill on the fasteners and burying hardware cloth 8" should be enough. Probably stronger than the coop we inherited with the house, which I might also rebuild with PVC (or move into the run) if this works well.

Hi there. I ran a hot wire around my pen about 5 or 6 inches off the ground.

The door hinge is made by slipping the 3/4" door frame through several pieces of 1" piece of pvc (about 6" long) kinda in the same places you would put a regular hinge. Secure the hinge to the outside frame of the door with a couple of zip ties.

Back
Top Bottom