My Rabbit Journey~New Pics pg 17

Many years ago, we had 2 rabbits that I now know were NZ whites. We let them free in our fenced backyard. We fed them pellets and they ate whatever else in the backyard. They would burrow against the side of the house. They had babies a few times, but the mother always killed them. I never understood why she could not raise babies. I'm guessing because the buck was always close by

Last edited:
i use mainly pellets. but in evenings i will give them alf alfa hay and half ration of pellets. they enjoy it, and it cuts back on cost of high dollar pellets. ive used all kinds of hay but the alfalfa seems to be best. higher protein.

thumbsup.gif

Here is a pic of some of the kits. She has some in the back of the nest box and 2 in the front.

Tha'ts awesome. I will get some pics today since it is so warm out here. I went and checked them this morning and the baby I thought was just going to be white or some other solid color is actually a broken dilute tricolor!!!
love.gif

Yes, their eyes open around day 10-14. Usually staggered over a few days, in my herd.

I generally don't change the bedding unless it's obviously soiled, and even then just try to pick the nasties out. The mama fur is important for insulation on cold nights. They'll be hopping out of it soon enough anyway
bun.gif

I butchered my first meat rabbit Mon evening. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I took a friend's advice and shot him in the head with a pellet gun before bleeding out, etc. Much more humane that trying (and probably failing since I am a 5'3 woman!) to club him or whatever it is most people do. I definitely think the pellet gun was the best way to do it. Wish I could use it on my chickens!

I was told their brains are too small? maybe i need to give it a try next time and see if thats really true. i do really hate using the hatchet.

Back
Top Bottom