my rant about some peoples excuses

bgelber

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Athens, al
My daughter came home this afternoon saying that one of her friends mother was going to buy a house on our street. The "mom" found the house that she liked ( there are three for sale at the moment ) and was all set to buy said house, til she found out that someone had chickens
ep.gif
Ah that would be me. So she decided not to buy the house using that as an excuse. HELLO did she not see the big fat COWS in the pasture across the ROAD
smack.gif
and one more
smack.gif
or the fields that where just plowed under and fertilized with cow manure
sickbyc.gif
. The pet crematorium behind that. I mean get real. How stupid does she think we are to use that as an excuse. You can't even hear my girls if your in my front yard or my neighbors back yard and they are out there all the time. ( they didn't even know we had chickens until I ask them if they wanted eggs )

I HATE people like that.. thank you for listening to my rant

hu.gif

The cows weren't a problem...

The manure laden field, and the breeze that would blow it her way, weren't a problem...

A freaking crematorium wasn't a problem...

But a few chickens were? Something off about that. Could be a phobia, rare, but maybe. Could be that she really didn't notice the other things. Or could be that the bank/her stuff fell through or she found a better house/price on another street. If it was any of those things, and her kiddo REALLY wanted to live there, but mom didn't want to admit it was one of those things she might have used the chickens as an excuse. Seems odd, but stranger things have happened. The crematorium would have made a better one IMO, but then YOU live there with no problem so maybe that wasn't excuse enough? Or she may very well be afraid of chickens. My mom to this day still rants about how evil blue jays are because as a kid she was stupid enough to get near a nest and they harassed her... no telling really. Overall very strange.

Oh well, at least you now that house might be sold to someone who doesn't mind them, as opposed to someone you KNOW does.

There are plenty of people who feel strngly enough about chickens, but not other livestock, to let that deter them. Chickens have a very bad reputation for being filthy, nasty animals with lots of people.

The saddest part is that ANY animal can become a nuisance if it's not taken care of properly. Not everyone sees it that way. Unless my girls are cooing at us, or laying an occasional egg, you don't even know that they're there. They are definitely quieter than the yapper dog next door!
smile.png

My neighbor forced us to get rid of our Rooster saying it was too loud and they constantly complain about the chickens in earshot when they are in their yard.
We have cows bellowing in the back pasture giving birth!!!! We have a donkey in the back pasture who makes a great amount of noise. We have a field, the local guys use for Rugby and football the other side so there are always raised voices shouting all sorts!!! We live in a fishing village and so there are cars in and out of the cul-de-sac at all hours when the boats are comming in or going out depending on the tide!!! We have a farm at the back of our house with alsorts in it including tractors at all hours of the day and night!!!! - So what do they complain about MY CHICKENS????????????????
Apparently they are noisy smelly dirty things?????

Now they have 2 spaniels and an alsation x in their yard locked up. They bark none stop all day and all night. Sometimes they howl constantly and the husband works on the boats and doesn;t think twice about slamming his van doors at 4 am!!!!!!! - I am the worst person in the whole entire world because I have chickens!!!!!!

Some folk are just never going to like chickens or the folk who keep them. It is usually those folk who want your eggs though!!!!!!

Oesdog
wink.png

Last edited:
I say who cares and that's exactly why we live way back in the woods. Every now and then I will over hear people talking about "those people" that live back there in the woods at the store etc. I always jump right in with "I heard about them", "they are crazy", "don't go near them". Then I dust off our no tresspassing signs on the way down the driveway. Nothing like free advertising.
smile.png

Steve

I think people here are pretty unrealistic often about keeping chickens and insisting everyone has to like them and all communities should allow them. There's a very, very strong bias here and I think it's not in the least realistic.

As far as i remember i pay the taxes and i pay the house payment so this is my piece of dirt and ill raise whatever i want here. Fortunately my neighbors think its great that i have chickens, but if they didnt i wouldnt shed a tear or anything

I took my son to a birthday party thrown by one of the other moms to give us all the opportunity to meet each other. Since all of our kids are in kindergarden, there were a lot of people that showed up to feel each other out yada yada yada.

A group of us were sitting around talking and I mentioned I have chickens. One of the other moms loudly proclaimed she had chickens when she was growing up and would much rather have stinky pigs than chickens -- because chickens were nastier than pigs.

Totally blew me away. I'm sure I looked at her like she was crazy. I'm pretty sure someone there thinks chickens are nastier than pigs now because of this lady. Sheesh. Some people are beyond help.

Back
Top Bottom