My Red Tom Turkey

OH no...........was hoping it was to high.so I would not be so tempted.......I may own turkeys before its all over
big_smile.png

Speaking of turkeys I was at a small animal auction with my friend Freebie is past week-end and they had a full grown tom BB turkey. He was sitting/standing in a large rubbermaid tub with straw. He wasn't caged or anything and he was the most docile bird I ever saw. He let people pet him and everything. Found out he went for $50.00 at the auction. I told Freebie that is what we need to get next year, buy them as poults and raise them and take to the auction in the fall. I guess it didn't hurt that he was the only turkey there and it was a month before Thanksgiving lol. Roosters are definetly not what you want to take to a fall auction as there was a glut of them there and they sold very poorly. Better to take a roo at a spring auction.

Durning the day he free ranges and at night he's in a pen. He knows the routine pretty well as soon as son as the sun starts setting he heads for his pen.

Your red tom is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing. My husband wants some Royal Palm turkeys next year. We had a BB Bronze tom now. Lurkey, See...

Lurkey.jpg

Could you post some pictures of your Royal Palms?

If you hand raise them from little poults they can be insufferably friendly (never quit bothering you). They also possess a very `turkish' curiosity about things:

BoxingFearlessB082007.jpg

Interesting turtle I guess (Slate tom named Fearless Leader).

I had raised my poults and they are the sweetest birds to the family. They love me, or the treats I have. Honestly, they are the nicest birds I have. They don't like to be cuddled, but they are always around me when I am outside. I adore it, and them. That tom is absolutely gorgeous. I have a pair of RP.
Rachel

Back
Top Bottom