My Rooster Can't Stand

MsSpidersFlock

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 10, 2007
I went outside this morning to fill the food/water dishes, and found my rooster caught in the netting that is supposed to be covering their run. I don't know how long he was caught...It could've been all night long.

I don't know much about broken bones or anything like that, but I don't notice any swelling, and he seems to have the same range of motion in both legs. FOR THE MOST PART. The toes on his right foot are curled over, and he doesn't seem to want to or be able to straighten them. Every once in a while, I notice his leg shaking.

He can stand for very VERY short and awkward periods of time, but when he tries to walk, he just falls over.

He's eating, and drinking by the way.

I can't afford to take him to the vet for x-rays or anything.
sad.png
I'd appreciate any advice I could get!! Thanks!

~Kat~

Last edited:
he could possibly have some nerve damage, I have had to treat kittens that have gotten legs stuck in kennels. I found that good ol physical therapy time and tlc help. Just keep him in the house with you, move his legs through range of motion 2-3 times daily, massage them, it will help encourage healing, nerves heal very slowly, depending on the severity of damage, some nerves never heal. hope this helps

Thanks so much : ) But what happens if the leg is actually broken? Would me moving it around cause even more damage?

Sorry, but if his leg is broken, it is much better for him to be fried chicken. Look at all the suffering that race horse had before they finally put him down. Don't let an your chicken suffer.

If its broken there will generally be some swelling, but the only way to tell for sure is to take X rays. Have you felt the entire leg? is there pain when squeezing anywhere on the leg? that could possibly indicate a break. but the best way is with radiographs.

Thanks for the responses guys/gals. There is still no swelling, and he doesn't seem to flinch at my touch. He's able to stand for longer periods of time now, and even took a tiny stroll. He was able to perch on my large bird stand, but he's still having problems curling his toes. Could he have injured a tendon?

Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on him, and he's getting plenty of special treatment. Thanks again!

Oh, and none of my chickens ever become "fried chicken". I don't keep mine for food. If all else fails, I'll just have him put down like I would any of my other animals. Too bad I don't like chicken!

I would put him in a separate cage or a dog/cat carrier with food and water close to his head and let him rest for a few days. Hopefully, he has just sprained something rather than dislocated a hip or broken a leg.

good luck with him

chel

Just an update....

My roo is doing just fine today...He has a little bit of a limp, but he's walking, and back to his old routine. He insisted on being let outside today...Don't know if you guys know what I mean about that or not. Anyway, I let him outside, and he started dancin around his hens and all was well. Thanks for all of your help!

Back
Top Bottom