My rooster is mounting but my eggs are infertile...

This thread is talking about whether the eggs are fertile, not whether the hen is fertile. Even then, laying eggs is not a sign that a hen can produce offspring. A hinny duck, for example, is a sterile cross between a pekin drake and a muscovy female. All offspring are infertile and cannot produce ducklings, but the females will still lay eggs. The eggs however can never become fertile and hatch.

In terms of fertility, an egg itself is considered fertile if a rooster has fertilized it with his sperm. You can actually see the difference because in a fertile egg, the blastodisc will have become a blastoderm and the difference is visible. If this has not happened, the egg is considered to be infertile because obviously it is incapable of producing a chick.
I actually know that to, but I'm not offended either, we are here to share info!
highfive.gif

I went back and looked and saw it didn't ask if the eggs themselves were infertile, just are you sure they weren't...
tongue.png

But I do get what your saying about cross species being sterile, similar to a donkey cross with horse equals sterile mule. Didn't realize sterile could still lay eggs! I learned something new today.
old.gif
which I really like to do.
yesss.gif

I actually know that to, but I'm not offended either, we are here to share info!  :highfive:

I went back and looked and saw it didn't ask if the eggs themselves were infertile, just are you sure they weren't... :p

But I do get what your saying about cross species being sterile, similar to a donkey cross with horse equals sterile mule. Didn't realize sterile could still lay eggs! I learned something new today. :old  which I really like to do. :yesss:  

Sorry about that! I took your post to be about a hen's fertility and not the egg's, lol. Ah well, at least if future people come across the thread and don't know that info they'll be able to learn :)

I am breeding for fun and for some eggs.
I have 2 old English Roos, 2 RIR, and 1 unknown breed. Want to breed with my 2 fluer du Uccle hens.
They are actually called cockerels and pullets until they are a year old, in case you didn't know that. But typing and calling them roos and hens is easier.
tongue.png

Are you boys bantam as well?

And I remembered another awesome reason to breed... egg color!
wink.png
I'm not an enabler or anything though.
hide.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Ok thanks I knew about the pullets but not cockerels!
And no my cockerels are a mixed breed. They are big though, can they still mate with my small bantams though?

Ok thanks I knew about the pullets but not cockerels!
And no my cockerels are a mixed breed. They are big though, can they still mate with my small bantams though?
They absolutely will mate those bantams. The problem is when the rooster is overly large compared to the hen, there is a significant risk of serious injury to the hen.

Quote:
I have a large fowl Polish rooster that is ever so kind to my one little bantam. He does not bite her, instead he taps her to let her know he wants to mate. She squats and he does not stand on her Instead the very large Polish rooster sets his feet on the ground on either side of her. He is the nicest 11 month old cockerel I've ever seen! Now, my other boys can stay AWAY from her. I'm afraid they'd kill her in an attempt to mate with her. Only my most polite roosters are permitted to reproduce. The human aggressive ones aren't permitted to live. All the others live with the goats. LOL

Ok I'll keep an eye on my cockerels to make sure they aren't being too aggressive, same here Chicken5555, my Roos aren't aggressive yet but when they start it's straight to the dinner table for me!
1f60b.png

Hey guys I think I may have fertile eggs going to candle one later will anyone check for me to see if they are indeed fertile?

Back
Top Bottom