My Speckeled Sussex hen has grown another toe! Huh?

dumb_cluck

Songster
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Upstate NY
I have 3 SS hens, and a couple weeks ago I noticed one of them hobbling around. (They are two years old).

Today I noticed why...she has a fourth toe that has grown out. Any explanations? Anybody else have this happen?

Last edited:
What do you mean by a fourth toe growing out? Most breeds of chickens have four toes, so I don't know why this is unusual. Do you mean that the toenail has gotten extremely long? A photo might help, too.

The extra toe is on each foot at the rear, but is VERY long like the front toes. The other two hens just have a little nub.

It is almost "twisted" and causes her to walk funny. She eats and scratches fine. Ideas?

That appears to be a spur, not a toe. Some hens, as they get older, will grow spurs just like roosters. I've never seen one as long as your hen's spur, though! If you want to help her walk better, trim off about 1/3 of the spur. At least for now, don't trim off any more than that. If it bleeds, use cornstarch, styptic powder, or flour to stop the bleeding.

I'm afraid to cut it. I don't want to cause her any other problems like infection or bleeding to death.

At least I know it's a spur. Never knew hens would grow them and especially that big! It must poke her in the butt when she walks, which is why she walks weird.

I'm afraid to cut it. I don't want to cause her any other problems like infection or bleeding to death.

At least I know it's a spur. Never knew hens would grow them and especially that big! It must poke her in the butt when she walks, which is why she walks weird.
Spurs are just like fingernails or chicken toenails. As long as you don't go down too far, and cut into the quick (blood vessel that runs through part of each nail/spur), it doesn't bleed. Cutting it away, unless you hit the quick, causes no infection, either. And even if you were to cut into the quick, the bleeding is usually easy to stop. Chickens can lose a lot of blood without dying due to the loss of blood. Still, I understand why you don't want to try cutting it. I wouldn't want to accidentally go to far and hurt her if I were in your place. But I would still suggest at least trimming off the very tip so that it isn't as sharp when it digs into her.

And yeah, I had no idea that hens could grow such large spurs either! Especially only a 2 year old hen!

Sometimes hens grow spurs I've had hens with spurs before.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom