My story of finding and building the best heater

So basically, if I understand correctly from you guys - there is no need to worry about any heater in coop - it is all about natural immunity of chickens against cold, sufficient light, and fresh pullets every year (which I don't think I am ready to replace), even in -20, -30C. I get it. So basically those are the reasons not to get an adequate heater - no need?
Many of us here do provide heat. I would say we are split on this issue. I don't know the percentages. If we ever did a survey, it would be interesting to see...I did a search, but didn't find anything.

I like it, so not actually warm temperatures ,but just to keep it as safe levels, right?
When people like I say I heat my coop, those who don't understand think they live in a sauna of sorts, where it's the same temp as in my house. There is one person I know who does that but they're in their 80's and want to spend time in the coop without dying in there themselves.

As I stated above several days ago, I and many others, due to temps or types of birds, or personal preference of not wanting frozen eggs or water, we heat to keep the coop from freezing so around 35-40F. If power goes out, the water and eggs freezing is my only worry. If the temps outside are sub-zero, we'd run the generator.

When people like I say I heat my coop, those who don't understand think they live in a sauna of sorts, where it's the same temp as in my house. There is one person I know who does that but they're in their 80's and want to spend time in the coop without dying in there themselves.

As I stated above several days ago, I and many others, due to temps or types of birds, or personal preference of not wanting frozen eggs or water, we heat to keep the coop from freezing so around 35-40F. If power goes out, the water and eggs freezing is my only worry. If the temps outside are sub-zero, we'd run the generator.
That is exactly what I do Debbie. I don't want them to experience a big temp change when they leave the coop, but, I do want them to use their energy to stay healthy - or to heal.

Thanks this clarifies the picture. So the temperature plays pretty essential role here, and needs to be in a narrow range. And how is the temperature control is done? Is it manually switching off/on according to temperature? Or there are other ways?
I don't think only temperature plays a role. I think your flock age, and any diseases you are trying to treat is an important factor as well.

The older, and hopefully wiser I get, I don't take the "hard-line" on most issues. Just about everyone on this site has captive and to some extent domesticated birds. I don't think we can compare ourselves to birds that are wild. With that said, as I have previously stated, there is a place for heat. There is no way I am going to let my chickens use their energy needed to fight this respiratory battle - to keep themselves warm. It is difficult enough to treat - the least I can do is do the things I have control over. Our elderly birds have a difficult time with heat regulation as well.
Thanks! In our cold climate - it can be pretty disturbing. Like for example it is -22C at night in the beginning of March here in Calgary.🥶

Different views here, and I agree - when we speak about a heater - people might think it is same as the house heater (temperature-vise) - but actually it is about maintaining the safe levels (around 35-40F?), when needed - (safety limits)?
So, concluding (please feel free to correct me) - the core important features of a perfect heater, should be: 1. Ventilation + Air circulation + Excess Moisture removal (one is affected by another); 2. Safety: no hot spots, no fire hazards; 3. Temp control: be able of controlling a wide range, including the 35-40F; 4. Abuse, dust, and mice protection. ?

Different views here, and I agree - when we speak about a heater - people might think it is same as the house heater (temperature-vise) - but actually it is about maintaining the safe levels (around 35-40F?), when needed - (safety limits)?
So, concluding (please feel free to correct me) - the core important features of a perfect heater, should be: 1. Ventilation + Air circulation + Excess Moisture removal (one is affected by another); 2. Safety: no hot spots, no fire hazards; 3. Temp control: be able of controlling a wide range, including the 35-40F; 4. Abuse, dust, and mice protection. ?
Ventilation is not something a heater can do - we improve ventilation by cutting holes into our coops above the roosting bars and then securely covering them with hardware cloth. Ventilation is critical because moisture plus freezing equals frostbite. Next, we do not want air circulation in a heater because chickens are dusty and their lungs are very fragile, so we don't want to blow around dust. That is why I use a radiant heater.

Back
Top Bottom