Mysteriously Disappearing Eggs + No Hatches

That looks pretty much like it should near the end... If they are still alive you should see moment quite often just hold it still and focus...

I see you are using a cell phone to candle, get yourself a little rubber washer (steal it from a garden hose if you have to) and place that over the LED and then you can lay the phone flat and you will have a rubber ring to place the egg on so it won't' roll around and you won't need to hold it while you look for movement...

Mind you, I have not hatched duck eggs, but as a chicken hatcher I can say it looks good, I see good veining which if it were dead you may not see... If they are due around the 15th I would just put them in the incubator and proceed as normal.. Never give up is my motto unless its obvious you should.

Also, maybe a duck hatcher can chime in here, I know with chicken eggs there may be a delay in hatching if the eggs are cooled.. Don't know how it will effect them this late in the game tho but maybe not be freaked out if they don't hatch exactly on time??

Thank you guys for the help. I was honestly surprised that the one that we took pictures of was still kickin'. When we took the pictures we forgot the flash was on it and make the duckling move a lot. Again, thank you and I hope they will hatch in the ballpark of the 15th. ;)

The reason why I am so scared is because we use a homemade incubator and it killed two eggs from the start. Is it more reliable with pretty much fully grown eggs, do you think?

Edit: The incubator is literally the only stuff we had lying around the house at the time. It's hay, a shirt, a water spritzer, and a heat lamp.

Last edited:
The reason why I am so scared is because we use a homemade incubator and it killed two eggs from the start. Is it more reliable with pretty much fully grown eggs, do you think?

Edit: The incubator is literally the only stuff we had lying around the house at the time. It's hay, a shirt, a water spritzer, and a heat lamp.

Again, I have never hatched Duck eggs but a set up like that worked for me with Chicken eggs the last 4 days when a momma left them
wink.png

Okay, that's awesome. The temperatures vary around here in New Hampshire so I'll have to keep watch on the eggs' warmth. Since I don't have a thermometer, how can I determine if the eggs are at the right temperature?

You wont know without a therm... Also, once they internally piped I moved the box and the heat lamp to the bathroom so I could better control the humidity...

Here was my set up

and my hatch 3/4 wasn't to bad I thought...

This was the internal pip I was waiting for

Back
Top Bottom