mystery adult rooster! any guesses? TIA! :)

kefiren

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2011
On the windy MA/NH border
I'm pretty sure that this was one of those "rare mcmurray extras"
He has been chased by another rooster so he might be a bit skinnier than he should be
Things I want to point out: white earlobe, yellow legs, tall stance, pea? comb, fluffy neck
I do have a guess, but I will keep it to myself not to muddy the waters! :)
His temperament is very sweet, the owner wanted to keep him but had one too many roosters.
He is medium-sized (i mean, not bantam or giant or anything)
I like him!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 12.18.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 12.18.07 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Wow! Thanks so much for the ideas Jacin and floppy! Those are awesome guesses. I made a little screen shot of my new roo with orloff, spanish, and another breed that I think looks a bit like him in the face. (my new roo is at center)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 1.18.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 1.18.37 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Initially when I went to identify my roo,, I looked at the McMurray site, I saw the Spanish, (and I didn't see Orloff there, so it wasn't on the radar for me). But the face of the Spanish was so dissimilar.

So I went looking for pics across the web, and the one I posted (on the right in my last post) seemed to have a magic something that reminded me of my roo. I've raised that kind of bird many times and the temperament fits. (I had to disentangle him from strings, and he was the most docile roo I've ever handled.)

I was just outside looking at him again, and some things are only apparent in person. There is a golden look to his fluffy neck feathers, and the "earrings" are mottled, not pure white. His legs aren't strong yellow either. They could be an in-between color.

I'm glad so I posted here, to recieve the idea of the Russian, since it wasn't on McMurray. I think it completes my idea which was: Easter Egger/Olive Egger! ie, Ameraucana crossed with some sort of spangled, upright bird.

A quick look here and I can see that other people in this chicken world have thought it would be fun to have a spangled easter egger. So I suppose that might have been the thought process that created him?

so... Olive Orloff Egger? :)

I'm still open for ideas though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom