mystery chick

StoneyRidge

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Bloomington, Indiana
I hatch my own eggs from breeds that are seperated in individual pens and runs. In my hatching about three weeks ago an all yellow chick hatched. The color looked like a Light Brahma chick. Buff Orpington chicks are more golden in color. It turned white with no markings. Now it has some light grey marking around its neck and on its wings. The chick has yellow legs with no leg feathers. Its developing a single comb. I have Buff Orpington, Light Brahma, Cuckoo Marans and Barred Hollands breeds of chickens.

Now I think I solved where this chick came from. My Barred Hollands and Cuckoo Marans pens have doors that open into the feed room of the barn. The Buff Orpingtons pen opens into the Light Brahama pen and the Light Brahma pen opens into the feed room. Every once in a great while a Buff Orpington hen will slip through my feet as I enter thier pen from the Light Brahma pen. I feed the Orpingtons and then catch the lose hen and put her back in her proper pen. My guess is while the Buff Oprington hen was in the Light Brahma pen she got bred by my Light Brahma rooster behind my back.

I wonder if this is a cross from a Buff Orpington hen and a Light Brahma rooster. How can I tell? My Light Brahma rooster named Fog Horn has a very nice filled out meaty chest. The down side is Light Brahmas are slow growers as meat birds. Will this meaty chest trait follow with the cross? Orpingtons mature quicker than Brahmas.

I am pondering setting up for some Orpington rooster with Brahma hen crosses and some Brahma rooster with some Orpington hen crosses. I am not sure if the crosses will look the same. Anyone try this?

Mystery Chick: Me, saw you in front of the McDonald's. I was the guy in jeans ogling you. You, in a tank top talking to what was probably your boyfriend. Liked your smile. Let's meet at the Denny's so I can see it again.

That was my first thought when I saw the title. I'm none too good at figuring out breeds, but I bet photos of this mystery chick will help generate some guesses.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom