Mystery Hen Found in my Yard

sophiaw00

Songster
Apr 27, 2015
Illinois
I found a mysterious bird in my run tonight as I went to go count mine and lock them up for the night. It was pouring and cold tonight and my birds were all tucked nicely in the coop (except Vivi, who has minor brain damage and doesn't know to go into the coop). This mystery bird was laying on the ground, shaking, barely moving, and freezing cold. She's in a hard molt too, so that doesn't help.

Let's start from the very beginning though - my neighbors bought 6 chickens and 2 ducks a few weeks before I got mine. I didn't even know about them until the day mine went into the coop for the first time and my neighbor came over and told me they had chickens too. Fast forward a few months...he starts free ranging. Two red star hens show up on my property every day and wander around my chicken pen. I didn't mind them at all. My birds didn't mind at all. One day, they got caught in a net that hangs down the side of my pen. I helped them out, and fell in love with how sweet they were. I named them Martha & Henrietta. When I started free ranging my chickens, they immediatley became part of the flock, but went home to their own coop at night. Eventually, they started roosting on top of my chicken pen. I noticed they were very skinny, so I put food and water out for them. They started laying in a nest in my garage. I offered to buy them from the neighbors since I was already feeding, watering, and sheltering them. They said no, and locked them back up in the coop. I hadn't seen them since.

Today, when I opened the door to free range mine, I saw two red star birds in a heavy molt wandering in the woods behind my pen. I crouched down and called to them, thinking they were Martha & Henrietta who would usually run to me. They got up and ran the other way. I thought that was weird. I did my chores and went back in the house until tonight when I went out to lock my girls up and found this mystery chicken on the ground.

I scooped her up and ran inside with her. My mom helped me wrap her in a towel and warm her up. She nuzzled her head into my neck for warmth. I thought she was Martha and after setting her up in a basket with blankets and food, I ran back into the rain with a flashlight and searched for her sister. I didn't find her, so I went to the neighbor's house to see if the other one was in the coop. Surprisingly, both girls were in the run roosting. So who's chicken was this? I walked across the street and knocked on my other neighbor's house who also has chickens. He took me out to his barn and counted all of his birds. They were all there.

The only other home she could have come from is over 2 miles away, but I don't think she came from there. I still haven't found the other bird I saw earlier in the day, but I am going to look again tomorrow. She is resting comfortably in a laundry basket lined with a thick fur blanket and a towel. She's since stopped shaking and has eaten a slice of turkey and some pellets. I'm already falling in love with her.

I'm not sure what to do with her. Any ideas? If I have to, I have ZERO problems with mending her to health, introducing her to the flock, and loving her forever.

Also looking for names for this sweet girl! I was thinking something like Mystery but I don't like that name. Does anyone have any pretty synonyms for Mystery that would work as her name?

Oh and I'm pretty sure she's a red star. The little feathers she has left are reddish orange and she has some black on her wings.

JMO but I would stop looking for the owner. You didn't ask your neighbor, you just saw that his two other birds were in the pen so I would bet this bird came from his house.

Sounds like he does not take care of his birds properly, if he doesn't come looking for the bird then he doesn't care about them and you would be doing the bird a favor by letting her live at your place.

If it becomes an issue in the future just "play dumb" and say you saw all his birds were in their pen and you had NO IDEA this stray came from his house.
He only has two birds and I saw them both at his house. I'm thinking this bird might be one of his 6 original. He thought they were all killed because he only saw feathers & 4 missing feathers but maybe shes been on her own for awhile.

He only has two birds and I saw them both at his house. I'm thinking this bird might be one of his 6 original. He thought they were all killed because he only saw feathers & 4 missing feathers but maybe shes been on her own for awhile.

Good. Just pretend she has entered the "Chicken Protection Program" which means a new name/identity so no
one from her past can find her. :)

Last edited:
I have tiny hands! It's about the size as one of my easter egger eggs.

She's actually named after a friend of mine here on BYC!!

I put her in a cage outside so she can get some fresh air and my girls are very curious. They aren't being mean and are actually just foraging near each other. She's tiny compared to them though.

She pooped this today, should I be concerned?

Well you aren't really quarantining her now you've put her that close to the others. Anything she has can easily pass to them. Quarantine means no contact not just putting them in adjoining cages. Two days is nowhere near long enough to be sure they don't have a disease could wipe out your existing flock.

Last edited:
I am a little worried about space with adding these two to the flock. I have an 8 foot by 4 foot coop and a 20 ft by 10 ft run, but they are free ranged all afternoon. Currently I have 10 chickens that live in the coop. That gives them each 3 sq. feet of space in the coop.

Couple of thoughts on coop space... I also have a 4x8 coop with an additional 6x8 covered area and a large run. My chickens are only in the coop to sleep and to lay (and right now only one lays). They never spend any time in their otherwise unless we have a very severe storm, even then they just run in for a few minutes. I plan to wrap plastic around the covered 6x8 area to provide them more space during really heavy daytime storms. I have to wonder if the coop space is designed for birds that live in snow country and have to spend a great deal of time inside all winter.

Since it likely snows where you are could you cover part of the run and add plastic to the sides to increase the snow free space? Maybe even throw a couple of perches out there so they have plenty of room during the day without being huddled up inside the coop? You will have to watch the poop load to make sure the air stays dry and clean at night though.

Also a thought on quarantine...is it possible these birds have been free ranging with your flock for a while and you just didn't know about it?

Last edited:
Here are some discussions about worming that might be helpful. Note in the second one it says that DE is not an effective for worming. Hopefully @casportpony will comment and give you some advice, she is very informed regarding worming and meds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ing-in-bread-in-case-this-is-useful-to-anyone

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-and-wormer-misinformations-graphic-pictures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1036635/affordable-valbazen-albendazole-14-75

Liz

Enigma

If you have checked with all of the neighbors that you know have chickens, I would care for her. Nothing says you can't continue the search for her proper owner tomorrow, hopefully when there is better weather!

Back
Top Bottom