Mystery Hen Found in my Yard

Update:

This morning I moved her to my garage. My chick brooder is being used as a chicken hospital for the second time now. I threw some hay in there for her to forage in, but she immediately made a nest and laid an egg!

I found her sister walking around behind my coop again today. She wouldn't come near me, so I put a bowl of food out in a cage. She went in and ate it. I'm going to let her go in and out of the cage for a few days so she gets comfortable in the cage, and then when she's not paying attention I'll lock her in there so I can bring her inside and care for her. I feel bad that she's by herself outside. She's in worse condition that the one I already saved so I really hope I can catch her.

She's very nervous about me and super skinny. Her skin is very sensitive from her molt and being so cold. When I had to pick her up to move her, she was in pain. It broke my heart.

Last night while she was eating/drinking, I kept hearing noises coming from her that sounds like a belly growling from hunger. Does that happen to chickens when they are hungry?

Here's a picture from this morning of her.

Last edited:
I think you should keep them. They could just be rogue chickens. A guy close by sold his house and was moving away so he gave me his 5 hens. When I attempted to let them free range with my flock for the first time, one of the hens immediately disappeared. A couple days later I saw her foraging on the other side of our property. I tried to lure her back and even tried several times (unsuccessfully) to catch her. A week later a neighbor from that side of our property said the hen was over there and I still couldn't catch her... 2 weeks later, my roo was able to round her up and she started sleeping in the coop and hanging out with the flock... Then 1-2 weeks later, she just up and left again. Unless a predator got her... But I think you should just keep them especially since you've already checked with the neighbors and if they're willing to stay with you.

I am planning to keep her. I have one more neighbor I am going to ask but that's the last house around me with chickens and even they are two miles away, so I doubt she's theirs. I am also trying to catch the other one.

My mom doesn't want them in the garage for very long so I need to find a way to keep their hospital brooder outside some how that also keeps them warm. My only heat lamp is in the coop. Of course the easiest way would to be to introduce them to my flock right away, but I don't want to risk sickness or mites.

Do they sell chicken sweaters somewhere to keep them warm?
1f609.png

My mom says to check etsy.com for the sweaters. We saw pictures of chickens wearing sweaters one time,and it was unreasonably humorous and cute!
1f601.png

-Alex

I looked on etsy & found a couple cute ones that im going to order. I'm buying a few just in case there's more out there.

I've named her Amari, and she's doing well. She keeps trying to get out of the hospital brooder, which seems like a good sign since she's able to fly up. We've got her well secured though and she can't escape. I already love her so much and I think she's found her home here.

I know she needs to be quarantined, but my mom isn't happy about having another chicken in her garage. Is it possible to keep her in the run or near the chicken pen without actually having them be able to touch each other? Or will that still transmit disease if she has any? I really need to find a solution to this problem.

Back
Top Bottom