Mystery Hen Found in my Yard

You can definately keep them! And covering the run in the winter as suggested would be a great way to give them space! For the poop, it is nit very clear to me what is it... But it might be caused by worms, birds infested with worms expell irregular shaped, runny poops, however is might be a normal "kind of poop" , as chickens poop comes in a variety as well :p so make worming an urgent procedure.... Keep us posted!

Name suggestions: Crimson and Clover seems fitting.

0.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear you found the other girl. They both have lovely red combs.
Green poo-not sure. Here's a link to the poop chart: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Also read somewhere (I think) that green poo could be a sign of malnutrition. Do they feel thin, can you feel their keel bone sticking out? If they are molting they made need a bit of extra protein to help them out. Something like some boiled or scrambled egg, some mealworms (not too much), don't forget the grit and if they are still laying-some free choice oyster shell to go along with their pellets.

Coop size might be a bit cramped. Remember your girls may accept them while outside free ranging, but it may be a little more difficult when the birds are allowed to go into the their coop. Your girls may view that as forbidden territory, but you never know. Chickens are funny. So hope all goes well!
fl.gif

I'll definatley worm them as soon as I can. Does it hurt them to be wormed if they end up not having worms? I would worm the entire flock and I don't want to hurt my chickens with the medication since they don't have worms.

I actually figured out where these guys came from, and you guys were right - they were dumped. My neighbor (the ones who own Martha & Henrietta) told me today that a friend of their's dumped them in their yard because they are 2-3 years old and weren't laying as well and knew they had chickens as well. They didn't bother telling my neighbors they were going to until AFTER they already did, and didn't leave them in a cage or anything but instead let them out into the forest in between my coop and the neighbor's coop, while the birds were in a heavy molt. One of them was brave (and smart) enough to find her way towards my coop where the other birds were and that's where I found her - shaking from the cold and drenched in rain. These girls never felt love and you can see it in their eyes. The newest one screams when she's held, just out of fear. My neighbor said, and I quote, "you keep them, I didn't want anymore chickens anyways...or kill them." I didn't necasarrily want anymore either, but I'm not going to leave them out in the cold. So basically, these girls came from a farm with many other chickens, but stopped laying as frequently (probably just because of winter) so were dumped.

Amari laid again today, and she's coming a long way already in terms of being social. She doesn't struggle as much with being handled. Her friend, however, is so scared of human contact. It breaks my heart. I'm leaning towards Adalia as her name. I think it flows nicely with Amari's name. I am going to buy them sweaters (a little ridiculous, but I don't want them to be cold) and then move them into the run after a worming treatment and another week in the warmth of the garage. This will give my birds some time to get used to them being in their territory.

The poop in the picture was actually a white foaming substance that looked nothing like feces at all. I haven't seen any more like it though.

Can anybody give me tips on worming medication and mite treatment for the birds (not the coop because I don't currently have a mite problem, but would like to prevent it) and some good brands?

Would feeding them chick crumbles be a good idea because of the extra protein? They do seem skinny and I can feel the keel bone on Amari, but haven't had much of a chance to handle the other one yet. They feel very light and always seem hungy (but I guess all chickens do).

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Glad that helped!
Now for keel bone, the brest of highly productive birds like production reds especially is narrow and not so full, so the breast is usually a wide v shape and that's ok and very normal, as their body cannot build up much meat and still produce so many eggs...
For mites and worms and lice:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-chicken-pests-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-mites
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/lice-chicken-pests-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-lice
These do will make an excellent addition of egg layers, might be better than most of your birds :) especially after they get better and get used to their new home!
Keep us updated!

Well, now the "mystery" is solved. It is sad to hear they were dumped, but at least they found you. Your new found girls sound like they have been through a lot. They may never like to be handled or held if they were treated roughly, but with your patience and care, they should become "tamer" and even look forward to seeing you and being around you.
Continue to give them their regular feed, but you could give them some chick starter as a "treat". Put some in a bowl, add some warm water and stir it up -sort of like oatmeal consistency. They should gobble that up.

Might want to pick up some game bird feed, it is higher in protein and nutrients and many folks mix that with their regular feed during the winter. Be careful about what you buy though, once i picked up a bag that turned out to be mostly whole grains, my birds would pick out what they liked and leave the rest. I ended up having to grind it in a food processor so they would eat it all. Try to get pellets if you can.

For mites I am a big fan of Front Line, they make a spray bottle for puppies and kittens (don't use the adult dog drops). A spray under each wing kills mites and other nasties for months at a time and let's you selectively treat only new birds if you like.

Last edited:
I don't expect them to ever enjoy being handles as many of the chickens in my flock don't like being handled and they have been spoiled rotten their entire lives. I try to avoid picking up my birds unless I have too anyways. My flock does get pet frequently though, as some seem to enjoy that and they all eat out of my hand. My goal right now is to just get them healthy and acclimated into the flock. Then my goal will be to get them to stay with the flock. I am not worried about them being friendly to humans quite yet.

Yesterday, after I put them outside, I ran into town to do a few errands with my mom. It started raining while we were still in town. I was so worried about them getting cold. When I got home, my rooster was perched over their cage acting as a roof, but I don't know if he knew that. He was soaked and the new girls were damp as well. I brought them inside and then cooked them three eggs with cheese, milk, and turkey mixed in for extra protein. They loved that! Daryl got an egg and some bread for keeping them semi-dry, even though I don't know if he did that on purpose or not.

That's right focus on getting them healthy and don't worry about them being lap chickens, they are meant to be this as long as they're comfortable around you...
Oh amd next time watch the weather broadcast ;)

I don't expect them to ever enjoy being handles as many of the chickens in my flock don't like being handled and they have been spoiled rotten their entire lives. I try to avoid picking up my birds unless I have too anyways. My flock does get pet frequently though, as some seem to enjoy that and they all eat out of my hand. My goal right now is to just get them healthy and acclimated into the flock. Then my goal will be to get them to stay with the flock. I am not worried about them being friendly to humans quite yet. 

Yesterday, after I put them outside, I ran into town to do a few errands with my mom. It started raining while we were still in town. I was so worried about them getting cold. When I got home, my rooster was perched over their cage acting as a roof, but I don't know if he knew that. He was soaked and the new girls were damp as well. I brought them inside and then cooked them three eggs with cheese, milk, and turkey mixed in for extra protein. They loved that! Daryl got an egg and some bread for keeping them semi-dry, even though I don't know if he did that on purpose or not. 

You could always just put a board or piece of plastic over and around their kennel area to keep them dry if it rained while you were away until they are integrated. At this point and actually from the beginning it is pointless to keep them separated, your chickens were exposed to any and everything they had and vice-versa the moment they stepped on your property and dropped a poop. And you know how often chicken poop. Plus your chickens free range so they are exposed to everything in the environment.
The frothy poop is a sign of worms and I would treat the new girls and your original flock for worms because they have now been exposed.
I personally don't use chemical wormers but I do used diatomacous earth (food grade) to worm my chickens. I mix in 1cup per 5gallons of food and I also throw a cup in their dirt bath too, it help to stop lice infestation. Just don't breath a lot in.
I commend that you have taken in these little ladies. Thank you for being so kind and helping them out... caring for and loving life enough to do so.
My concern is this ... the next time the people who dropped these girls off get more girls who aren't laying they will do the same thing. The next girls may not be so lucky to finding a loving home. Or you may end up finding chickens wet,hungry and abused in your yard. As you said you really don't have the space for these girls and at 2.5 feet you don't. I am not recommending that you get rid of them.
What I am recommending is that, if you can find out who dropped these poor hapless souls off... I would send animal welfare after them. Both because the animal welfare office needs to be aware of them and their practices and possibly to check on the welfare of the birds still in their care, if you can call it that.
To me this is the equivalent of dropping 2 puppies or dogs on the side of the road or a batch of kittens. People can be so cruel.
I hope these girls comeback after their hard molt and provide you with many eggs. My girls didn't produce not one egg when they had a hard molt instead of tossing them away I increased their protein and provided a heat source for them. Jeez... mine are now laying well and even better than before. And RSL'S don't stop laying until they are very old. Yes they slow down but don't quit almost til the very end.
I wish you the very best with all your girls. :)

Back
Top Bottom