Mystery TSC Ducklings

Blooms&Brood

Songster
Dec 30, 2017
KC Area
I’ve never owned ducks before, so any advice is helpful. I did read that Un medicated chick starter is ok for the first 2 weeks (using Nutrena Naturewise) and never let them run out of water. I sanitized my chick brooder, reptile heating pad and feeding accessories. I hope to keep them in here for 3 weeks. That’s how long I normally use it for chicks.

Bin at TSC said assorted ducks. I saw them earlier this week and assumed they were Pekin. My husband agreed for me to pick up two for meat birds. I went today and well, there was only two left! Did I infact get Pekins? I know my local TSC gets their stock from Hoover’s.

Attachments

• A8D83B96-9FC5-4305-AEE1-4B0B85206EC5.jpeg
    A8D83B96-9FC5-4305-AEE1-4B0B85206EC5.jpeg
    502.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 34C2C2E7-CBCC-47A4-BF3E-D17ABD7BABE3.jpeg
    34C2C2E7-CBCC-47A4-BF3E-D17ABD7BABE3.jpeg
    585 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Sorry, I was in the middle of writing my post and accidentally hit the post button. Joys of a “smart phone”

Wow! Everyone is so fast to reply!

I’ve never owned ducks before, so any advice is helpful. I did read that Un medicated chick starter is ok for the first 2 weeks (using Nutrena Naturewise) and never let them run out of water. I sanitized my chick brooder, reptile heating pad and feeding accessories. I hope to keep them in here for 3 weeks. That’s how long I normally use it for chicks.

Bin at TSC said assorted ducks. I saw them earlier this week and assumed they were Pekin. My husband agreed for me to pick up two for meat birds. I went today and well, there was only two left! Did I infect get Pekins? I know my local TSC gets their stock from Hoover’s.
they look like pekin to me.

I’ll take a look into the feeding threads. I’m real big into fresh and wholesome feeds after the initial chick starter phase. I get fresh fruits and veg scraps from a local grocery (pick t up straight from the cooler). I hear ducks like watermelon.

Also see if you can find a piece of cardboard or something and cover more of the wire floor so their little feet can't slip through the bars ;)

Looks like they are getting settled in nicely!

Do you mean in addition to the heating pad? It covers a great deal of the cage. Yes, I’m happy they are calm with the heating pad. I picked it up brand new at an estate sale. Brooded 9 CW chicks on it. I will never use a heat lap again. I LOVE that they can go to sleep at night!!! I no longer dream about cheeping!

Back
Top Bottom