mystery

The bird in question is not a buff orpington, hatchery quality or otherwise. Even hatchery birds resemble the breed standards and would have lighter legs and a more even, darker buff coloring. That is a white bird with bright yellow legs more closely resembling a leghorn or white rock. Often times white birds exposed to the sun or to heat lamps will get a yellowish coloring to their feathers and that is what I suspect you are seeing here.

Last edited:
The bird in question is not a buff orpington, hatchery quality or otherwise. Even hatchery birds resemble the breed standards and would have lighter legs and a more even, darker buff coloring. That is a white bird with bright yellow legs more closely resembling a leghorn or white rock. Often times white birds exposed to the sun or to heat lamps will get a yellowish coloring to their feathers and that is what I suspect you are seeing here.

I'm not sure we're even looking at the same bird as you. The bird I'm looking at in those photos is not white at all and appears (from what I can see) to have pink legs, not yellow legs. However a close up photo of the bird in question would enable us to answer the poster's question for sure.

LOL! I went back and looked at the first post again. When the OP said, "tan," there's only one "tan" bird that I can see in the pic and it's in the middle of the pic so I was thinking that was the one being asked about (I think maybe other posters here were too), but I completely missed the comment about the "lower right by itself." I agree with you; that bird is not "tan" at all, it's white, and it does have yellow legs (not a Buff Orpington). I should have read the post more carefully. :eek:)

Lol oh Mr. Michael Oshay I read your first reply and was immediately quite annoyed. We were definitely not speaking of the same bird! The OP was wondering what the bird in the bottom right all by itself was and I couldn't believe so many people thought it was a buff orpington. I'm more of a silent lurker but it really annoys me to see blatantly wrong advise so I had to speak up! For the others, here is a close up screen shot of the bird in question.

Lol oh Mr. Michael Oshay I read your first reply and was immediately quite annoyed. We were definitely not speaking of the same bird! The OP was wondering what the bird in the bottom right all by itself was and I couldn't believe so many people thought it was a buff orpington. I'm more of a silent lurker but it really annoys me to see blatantly wrong advise so I had to speak up! For the others, here is a close up screen shot of the bird in question.
This pic is too blurry to be sure, but from what I can see of it, I'm thinking the bird in question may be a White Plymouth Rock (or it may be a WPR mix).

Hello everyone, I am waiting for the sunshine to let the birds out of coop, so I can get a picture. The one I am talking about is a very, very light tan. The camera doesn't show it to well, but as it grows I will share pictures. It is not white like the others at all, but it may be like you all said some type of mixed breed.

Back
Top Bottom