Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I'm glad you have at least a little good news in all of this. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the remaining eggs hatch into beautiful, healthy chicks. 

I don't think any made it I candled the one that had movement yesterday. No movement today. I opened 2 of the others both dead.other than being dead they looked fine fully developed just hadn't digested the yoke. I'm wondering if I should just do away with the remaining 4 an put hen back in the coop. There are 2 eggs in coop she could sit on but that d be another 3 weeks for her to sit. How long will she sit to try to hatch?

Oh don't worry but thank you, I was confused for a bit.. was double checking just now to see if I was wrong. 

Did find one single combed bird with the caption it was a cull.. not sure if that meant it's a cull because it likely did not have the blue egg gene or what, perhaps what happened was single combs still show up and are not blue egg layers?  Just trying to make sense of why you got single combs.

Anyways seems that breed is not exactly taking off in popularity? I cannot stand flighty birds either. That reminds me, the one good thing about the freedom and black rangers is they are naturally very calm and tame.   The only exception was some cockerels did not have too good tolerance of other boys when they were starting to breed the pullets.

Ah but the Whiting blue egg layers do have a pea comb of sorts. The green eh layers have a single comb. The ones I have were raised free range so were flighty to start with but became tame quickly. Here is a pic of one of blue egg layers - she likes to be hand fed. :) And she has pale blue/green earlobes.

And my understanding from all I read in both threads is that some of the original stock came from Whiting although they've been developed differently along the way. But I'd have to go back and reread a lot of posts to see where I got that info and I probably won't.
I can't stand the super flighty birds either - too difficult when you need to do things with them.

Last edited:
That top rooster is gorgeous! That white one...looks a little odd to me. Nice, round body, but my eye is questioning the proportions....and what's up with that tail? LOL!

Yep. His proportions are weird. I think it's the cornish x breeder stock influence. One of the freedom ranger roos was so wide he was almost round from top view. I think he is going in that direction. Hope not, as that's too extreme.

His tail/rump area looks odd due to feather picking. He sits around a lot so the other chickens apparently take advantadge of that to pick on his feathers.

Ah but the Whiting blue egg layers do have a pea comb of sorts. The green eh layers have a single comb. The ones I have were raised free range so were flighty to start with but became tame quickly. Here is a pic of one of blue egg layers - she likes to be hand fed. :) And she has pale blue/green earlobes.

Lol so that is why the wires are getting crossed up! It is hard to find information on Whiting stock besides their fly tie stock.

It is very hard to get single comb blue/green egger segregates out of pea combed colored egg layers. So it was "evident" since the pictures of your two hens showed single and the AB showed pea, they were surely "separate" for this reason. Did not think of multiple lines with differing traits. My bad.

Thanks for the info.

Oh man. I wonder if she hatched some chicks and left the nest with them but something took the chicks? Around here, chicks are absolutely not safe from fall to early spring because of the hawks.. they really like to swoop down on the little chicks- they will swoop down even with me standing 10 feet away. Mid spring to late summer, the hawks are up north so the chicks are safe.

She will sit on another round of eggs, wait 1 or 2 more days.. if she still sticks to that nest real good, give her a batch of fresh eggs and take away the old ones. Mark the calendar, so the chicks and hen can be collected before they leave the nest.

Oh man.  I wonder if she hatched some chicks and left the nest with them but something took the chicks?  Around here, chicks are absolutely not safe from fall to early spring because of the hawks.. they really like to swoop down on the little chicks- they will swoop down even with me standing 10 feet away.  Mid spring to late summer, the hawks are up north so the chicks are safe.

She will sit on another round of eggs, wait 1 or 2 more days..  if she still sticks to that nest real good, give her a batch of fresh eggs and take away the old ones.   Mark the calendar, so the chicks and hen can be collected before they leave the nest.

No some thing probably a coon or skunk got half. She had nested in the belly if my trailer house.I moved her an rest of the eggs yesterday.I only saw movement in one if the six eggs. An today none:( I think ill give her till Friday then see if she'll sit on eggs in the chicken coop where she'll stay safe an dry.

I just recently purchased 4 Naked neck chicks from a local breeder, and so far I am very impressed with them. I especially like their docile personality's. I have a few questions though, how cold hardy are they? And whats their egg production like?

I just recently purchased 4 Naked neck chicks from a local breeder, and so far I am very impressed with them. I especially like their docile personality's.  I have a few questions though, how cold hardy are they? And whats their egg production like?

They do great in cold weather or hit weather. As far as laying mine some lay almost every day might miss one every thee/four days, and some are every other day layers.

As far as egg production goes I think every other day is good. They seem not to play out as soon.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Back
Top Bottom