Naked Neck/Turken Thread

@supersymmetry and @Kassaundra thank you so much for your responses, and great questions supersymmetry.

The aim for my main flock is harmonious egg production: most of my hens and pullets are naked neck over isa browns (they came from a sideline project from one of the main production egg layer hatcheries). About 20% are naked neck barnyard mixes. I'm not so interested in meat production, eggs are my main focus.

My project flock is showgirls, as far as I can research there are no showgirls in CR. Hence my interest in keeping my white feathered, fibro cockerel. My silkies are small so this project involves learning AI. @Kassaundra I am so inspired by your birds
smile.png
My silkies are housed away from the other birds.

My hens (currently only 4) and cockerel free range about ¾ acre daily, the area includes orchard, forest and open grass. At night they have a henhouse, but they're only in there from dusk til dawn. They have about 16 foot of roost space.

The little 'uns, 20 of them, are housed in a 200 square foot run, the coop is open to the run (the run is very secure and it's hot here). Of the 20 I believe 8 or 9 are roos and I won't be keeping them (unless my cockerel can't cool it).

Maybe part of the problem is that the run used to belong to the hens and cockerel, I moved them out about 3 months ago, and their new henhouse is close, about 30 feet away. The cockerel is down there every day pacing around looking in and essentially studying the younger birds.

Thank you for your observations and suggestions, I'll wait a bit longer until I let them all out together, the cockerel and the hens can be in their henhouse for part of the day while the younger ones get to roam a little further.

Thanks again, I so appreciate this thread and all the awesome, knowledgeable and generous souls that frequent it
bow.gif

And @jarvis those are some pretty birds, I love the black tailed white!

Ancel

I agree your rooster is still young, and like the idea of isolating him. personally I would do a month or more, less stress for the younger birds and they would get to explore free range without so much interference plus they can get used to the older hens without his nonsense.

However. his behavior is rather extreme. when I first read your post about him I wondered if he had some game blood in him. They can get a bit 'obsessed' and do fight 'harder' than the average chicken.

Aggression IS genetic. but it is also variable, not a black/white or a single gene thing. environment plays a part-example a rooster with mild genetics for aggression might never attack people(I know yours doesn't just throwing an example) if raised by experienced poultry person or by a mother hen in a mixed flock.. yet this very same bird if raised like a pet can become obnoxious about attacking people.

another great example of genetics are the game chickens. Bred to kill each other with no training at all yet very handleable. even a kid could carry one of those roosters around. They even have a term for birds that do attack people- manfighters... most consider them undesirable because they need to handle the birds often and that would make it difficult... this is what I was reminded of by your rooster being good with you guys yet not so great with the little ones.

How you want to deal or the level you want to tolerate is completely up to you and it is perfectly OK if you want to tolerate it or not.

p.s. for the showgirl project I highly recommend getting the best silkies possible. Getting to the black skin, naked neck, silky feathering is easy. Getting to good type is much harder and takes many generations(it is fine if this is not your goal though, just many people here see pictures of the showgirls and want to make theirs from scratch.. what most don't realize is those are many many many generations away from the first crosses.....). Using good silkies will cut down on the numbers of generations by a lot.

Last edited:
Weighing really is a big pain, esp. since I'm raising so many birds this year. I just keep reminding myself that the data is really valuable. I missed the 2 week start of weighing for the Aloha NNs, but they are kinda small, so I'm going to start weighing them at 3 weeks.

I think I'm going to start looking into hanging scales that I can move and hang in the coop. After all, once they're out of the brooders, trying to use a stand-on scale (and have it level and get an accurate reading) is a nightmare.

- Ant Farm

Yeah, my NN pullet, Michonne, will sit happily on any part of my body, and I can set her down somewhere and she'll stand there so prettily...unless it's the scale. As soon as I put her on the scale she totally freaks out, no matter where I place the darn thing, and she starts screaming like I'm torturing her. WTH? I put her on my knee and she's all happy again. Back on the scale and she can't get away fast enough. She must've been a supermodel in her former life or something.
roll.png

Yeah, my NN pullet, Michonne, will sit happily on any part of my body, and I can set her down somewhere and she'll stand there so prettily...unless it's the scale. As soon as I put her on the scale she totally freaks out, no matter where I place the darn thing, and she starts screaming like I'm torturing her. WTH? I put her on my knee and she's all happy again. Back on the scale and she can't get away fast enough. She must've been a supermodel in her former life or something.
roll.png
ladies don't like scales
lau.gif

Well I'm down 4 more hens. Something got three last night. I know what it was or at least suspect what it was. Problem getting taken care of now.

Bad part of it is that one of them was my Speckled one. I think another red one and my little Blue Tailed White one.

Looks like a good excuse to hatch out about another 50 fir keeping.

@Kev thank you for chiming in! I'm relieved to hear everyone say he's still young. I don't think he has any game in him. I got his grandfather from a local farm and while people here do have old english game, it's not considered desirable to have aggressive birds, plus the OEG are tiny and he's all LF. His grandfather was great, and his father, but I understand that a couple of his brothers behave poorly. I don't know anything about his mother. He's been great with chicks. He's wary of my dogs and my rabbit, but he does get these wrong ideas into his head. He may end up in the stock pot yet. I've been thinking / hoping that he was just having a rough adolescence, but am more open to the idea now, thanks to eveyone's comments, that he might not be the right rooster.

Thanks also for echoing the waiting to let the young 'uns out. I'll do that.

My showgirl project will be more curiosity than SOP or anywhere close. I've the best silkies I could find, but they're not pure, my roo has a red comb (it is walnut) and wattles. I figured if I started with a fibro NN I would be a step ahead in the game, I'm expecting to give it a lot of time. I have a daughter out of the NN cockerel over a white OEG, very pretty, fine little thing, she's white skinned with slate legs, is there a chance she carries fibro? I have her in with the silkies and I don't mind if the showgirl project is bantam or LF. There are very few breeds of chicken available in CR: silkies, brahmas, sebrights, OEG, polish, a 'native' americauna and production birds (isa browns and black stars and cornish x), and loads of barnyard mixes. So this project will be just for fun and to do something a bit different. Thank you for your insights! I really value your experience and willingness to share,

Ancel

@Kev thank you for chiming in! I'm relieved to hear everyone say he's still young. I don't think he has any game in him. I got his grandfather from a local farm and while people here do have old english game, it's not considered desirable to have aggressive birds, plus the OEG are tiny and he's all LF. His grandfather was great, and his father, but I understand that a couple of his brothers behave poorly. I don't know anything about his mother. He's been great with chicks. He's wary of my dogs and my rabbit, but he does get these wrong ideas into his head. He may end up in the stock pot yet. I've been thinking / hoping that he was just having a rough adolescence, but am more open to the idea now, thanks to eveyone's comments, that he might not be the right rooster.

Thanks also for echoing the waiting to let the young 'uns out. I'll do that.

My showgirl project will be more curiosity than SOP or anywhere close. I've the best silkies I could find, but they're not pure, my roo has a red comb (it is walnut) and wattles. I figured if I started with a fibro NN I would be a step ahead in the game, I'm expecting to give it a lot of time. I have a daughter out of the NN cockerel over a white OEG, very pretty, fine little thing, she's white skinned with slate legs, is there a chance she carries fibro? I have her in with the silkies and I don't mind if the showgirl project is bantam or LF. There are very few breeds of chicken available in CR: silkies, brahmas, sebrights, OEG, polish, a 'native' americauna and production birds (isa browns and black stars and cornish x), and loads of barnyard mixes. So this project will be just for fun and to do something a bit different. Thank you for your insights! I really value your experience and willingness to share,

Ancel

If you like him a lot or he has something unique or something you really want.. no harm in waiting a bit longer and see if he mellows out. I've bred from less than perfect personality roosters before because they had something I was interested in then culled him after the chicks came. But I was also attentive to those offspring.. as it is genetic.

In that case the showgirls will be rather easy. A little trick.. breed non fibro birds with blue/slate legs if you can. It's because green and slate legs mean the birds do not have the Id gene, it inhibits pigments in a specific layer of skin, causing the legs to come out either yellow or white. It also messes with fibro.... however it is sex linked so you can do things like yellow/white leg rooster over fibro hens for pullets showing black skins but the cockerels will have a range of nearly normal looking skin despite having fibro or weird things like patches of black/grey skin or a pale gray skin. You can use those cockerels for fibro breeding but these will throw Id into both sexes.

some feather colors and patterns are not good for fibro projects like mottle, barring because they also have the side effect of lightening up the skin. Black, birchen and partridge are the best ones for as dark skin as possible. You can make black skin whites by breeding recessive white with the blacks, this will help with black skinned whites.

that white oeg with slate legs.. look inside her vent and mouth and also if her skin is still thin, look through her skin in her arm pit area and underside of the wing. If everything is very flesh colored, probably not but fibro can vary so widely in how it shows perhaps she will surprise you but..

p.s. breeding with yellow skin/green legs can eventually lead to fibro with a distinct green tint to the skin. Most people don;t care for that.. if you like or want to see it, then breeding with green legged birds would be better rather than yellow legged birds due to Id in the latter.

Last edited:
that's a red duckwing chick pattern for sure.. the markings on feathers are a bit bold.. hmm can't tell if it will end up like the average EE duckwing pattern(lots of markings on body) or it may still end up mostly buff with a black tail..

Well I'm down 4 more hens. Something got three last night. I know what it was or at least suspect what it was. Problem getting taken care of now.

Bad part of it is that one of them was my Speckled one. I think another red one and my little Blue Tailed White one.

Looks like a good excuse to hatch out about another 50 fir keeping.
sorry for your loss.

but glad you are hatching more.

Back
Top Bottom