Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I am giving the white one to a relative for her Bday. I think the white one is a NN×Maran×Icelandic.

Are the NN roosters a crap shoot as far as temperament goes?

There's a position or two for roosters in my growing flock. I have 8 adults (non-NN) plus (hopefully) 6 other pullets that will be staying from my NYD hatch. There are 2 cockerels from that hatch that I'm going to hold onto for a bit. I'm putting 22 NN eggs in lockdown tomorrow evening and there's definitely going to be cockerels. So I'm trying to decide on WHAT to keep. The two that I'm going to hold onto for now are blue and blue mottled Ameraucanas. I still want to get some Brabanter, more BCM, and some Coronation Sussex. I have NO idea what, if any, real breeding I want to do at this rate.

So anyway, opinions on cockerels you've had?

There's a position or two for roosters in my growing flock. I have 8 adults (non-NN) plus (hopefully) 6 other pullets that will be staying from my NYD hatch. There are 2 cockerels from that hatch that I'm going to hold onto for a bit. I'm putting 22 NN eggs in lockdown tomorrow evening and there's definitely going to be cockerels. So I'm trying to decide on WHAT to keep. The two that I'm going to hold onto for now are blue and blue mottled Ameraucanas. I still want to get some Brabanter, more BCM, and some Coronation Sussex. I have NO idea what, if any, real breeding I want to do at this rate.

I had only 1 NN cockerel and he was sweet and fertile. nice to his ladies as well.

As with any breed, it depends upon what's been bred for. Mean cockerels, irrespective of breed, are always the first to go down here. I've only ever had one mean NN rooster out of dozens of boys, and even though he absolutely hated my husband and son and would attack them on sight, his offspring have turned out to be quite nice since I bred him with more mild-mannered girls...before eating him. Since then I've found all of my NN cockerels to be very friendly and even affectionate.

I've been a bad chicken mommy. :(   I noticed two days ago that one of my NN/Biel girls was cowering in her pen all day in spite of the heat. I thought it was because my huge Dark Cornish cockerel was breeding her ruthlessly, but yesterday morning I finally decided to really inspect her and discovered that her sides have practically been carved off of her from excessive mating. She's a bloody mess. I brought her in, doctored her up as best I could, and put her in the isolation pen to recover, but honestly, the wounds may be too bad to recover from. She's still somewhat active, scratching around briefly in the pine shavings, and eats a small amount of food from time to time, but mostly she just stands there with feathers fluffed up and watches the other chickens warily through the hardware cloth. 

Needless to say I'm spending today inspecting all of my hens for injury. I had no idea it had gotten this bad. 
:(

As with any breed, it depends upon what's been bred for. Mean cockerels, irrespective of breed, are always the first to go down here. I've only ever had one mean NN rooster out of dozens of boys, and even though he absolutely hated my husband and son and would attack them on sight, his offspring have turned out to be quite nice since I bred him with more mild-mannered girls...before eating him. Since then I've found all of my NN cockerels to be very friendly and even affectionate.

I think your NN roo was in love with you
gig.gif
that is the only explanation he was mean to your men and his offspring not.

My NN roos aren't "affectionate" but I have not had a mean one yet, the meanest I've ever had was an EE. They are roosters though so they come in "mean" in every breed

It's a crap shot in roosters from NN.
But as stated already it depends on the lives and what wa bred into them.

I have one line here that is very aggressive. It has reached as far as great grandsons. That being said I have double great grandson if the original "mean" roosterz. Going on two years old and do far has shown no aggregation at all.

Now I have another line started. I have a nonNN rooster ( Aloha lines) that was never aggressive until he wax a2 year old. Thought I had him broke but every couple of months he gives it another try. I've also got a sin of his that is a NN. He's just as sneaky and mean as daddy. Add to that the aggressive grandfather from his moms line and you got one that really Durant want to give up. He tries me about once a week now. About ready to turn dad and son into soup.

It's very hard to put up with but to get to my goals I'm having to use them until I can find the right Ives.

Back
Top Bottom