Naked Neck/Turken Thread

So, if I only bred birds that had very little bibs, like these... could I eventually get birds with no bib, then?
0714171914e.jpg

You might. Not all of us will get bare naked birds it depends probably on other gene. Pea comb helps with this.

Btw, beautiful birds.

Ok, and thankyou! These are two of the cockerels I got from Cynthia, so they're either Drayes or DesertChics. I'm mostly positive I'm gonna keep and breed the blue wheaten looking one, he has a calm personality and seems to be the biggest, although I haven't been weighing them.

Nn crossed with Nn should give about 25% nn?

we have here a flock that looks like Nn and give all naked necks, mostly Nn looking and some NN, no nn at all. they have very long bodies, they don't look like my other Nn. and they lay snow white eggs while my other Nn lay tinted eggs.

Correct, 25% nn. If the rooster(s) and hens really are Nn then nn definitely do happen.. possible reasons for not seeing them- pure coincidence, as it is 75% chance for chicks with a naked neck anyways.. or the nn are being culled or claimed to be a different breed/parentage if there are also non nn birds on the property..

If the rooster is NN then all of the chicks will come out with naked necks, no matter what the hens are.. even nn hens will be making Nn chicks.

It seems that flock probably has been mixed with a white egg laying breed of some sort- leghorn, minorca or... pretty typical for white eggers to also have rather long bodies.

Correct, 25% nn. If the rooster(s) and hens really are Nn then nn definitely do happen.. possible reasons for not seeing them- pure coincidence, as it is 75% chance for chicks with a naked neck anyways.. or the nn are being culled or claimed to be a different breed/parentage if there are also non nn birds on the property..

If the rooster is NN then all of the chicks will come out with naked necks, no matter what the hens are.. even nn hens will be making Nn chicks.

It seems that flock probably has been mixed with a white egg laying breed of some sort- leghorn, minorca or... pretty typical for white eggers to also have rather long bodies.

thanks.

the lady I got my birds from got the eggs from germany. she has been breeding them for several years and they all hatch Nn/NN.

they do remind me on minorca. I am happy about that as I like minorcas.

So, if I only bred birds that had very little bibs, like these... could I eventually get birds with no bib, then?View attachment 1076832

Probably not. Bare necks seem to require two things, being pure for the NN gene plus an unknown modifier gene, which seems to be a recessive gene. This modifier gene is not too common in US stock- hence my "probably not" answer. If it is not present, then clean necks will not happen.

If you know the original stock has true clean necks then it is possible to hatch out some, however it will not come about as a direct result of breeding the small bibs to small bibs.

For example.. both parents large bibbed and both having the modifier gene *will* throw a few smooth necks. The only advantage to breeding small bowties is your chances at smooth necks goes up a little higher, if it's present. If not present, you'll get a whole batch of small bowties, including some that might have just one or two feathers on each side or have feathers on only one side(hipster style, maybe?).

It can be tempting to think those examples are proof it's possible to 'breed down' to smooth necks.. fell into that trap myself by starting a project with this goal for one line. Then I got new stock by egg trade that happened to have the modifier gene.. in this line, smooth necks showed up in all sorts of bowtie-bib combinations. None of the outcrosses with other lines produced clean necks.. however it did eventually show up in lines with "their blood" even if it never happened "pre-cross".

thanks.

the lady I got my birds from got the eggs from germany. she has been breeding them for several years and they all hatch Nn/NN.

they do remind me on minorca. I am happy about that as I like minorcas.

very cool. if possible, love to see pictures of that stock? I had entertained the idea of NN leghorns or Mediterranean type chicken with white eggs.. the closest I came to was getting barbezieux... of course they had to lay tinted eggs, sigh........ Let the blue egg Nn hen breed with the rooster and hatch her own clutch, of course only one pullet and she is not Nn.... nice blue eggs though.

Back
Top Bottom