Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Between the baby and life, I haven't even had much time to lurk! Keep the pictures and the updates coming! I will say that I'm not a fan of the site re-work... especially how they changed the gallery function. Oh well.

We have had 3 storms with over 90 mph winds in the last month... we're getting a new roof and new siding... chicken-wise: one storm rolled our mobile chicken wagon. It appears to have rolled 1.5 times... somehow the thing stayed in-tact! We lost 6 chickens out of our remaining 60. Unfortunately, some of our favorites.

I took a couple quick shots to show off our two contenders NN roo's. I'll probably end up with the barred rooster, although the white one is GORGEOUS.

Out of the 250+ birds, we are especially proud of the last rooster, I think he might have Nn recessive in him. He's a monster. A horny one, we're calling him "Randy".

View attachment 1071056 View attachment 1071057 View attachment 1071059 View attachment 1071062
If your talking about the fully feathered Birchen duse I. The next yo last photo. No if he don't have a naked neck then he don't have a gene for it. If bred to NN hens will produce a few NN chicks depending on the size if the bib that the hen has.

Is he out of NN stock?

If your talking about the fully feathered Birchen duse I. The next yo last photo. No if he don't have a naked neck then he don't have a gene for it. If bred to NN hens will produce a few NN chicks depending on the size if the bib that the hen has.

Is he out of NN stock?

Strong possibility he is a carrier for "nn". Hard to know exactly from our husbandry practices. Still deciding if we are going to build a special coop for breeding groups or continue to let them free range. The garden suffered a small amount, but the (excellent) condition of birds (and its time-saving chores) of free ranging might win out. With our current diversity, I could keep a Fm line, an all white Nn line, and continue with my meat hybrids.

We are currently getting 3 dz eggs a day, a little bit sooner then I had expected for 5 month old birds. Pretty pleased so far. Most of the Nn are significantly smaller then our non-Nn crosses. We'll see.

Strong possibility he is a carrier for "nn". Hard to know exactly from our husbandry practices. Still deciding if we are going to build a special coop for breeding groups or continue to let them free range. The garden suffered a small amount, but the (excellent) condition of birds (and its time-saving chores) of free ranging might win out. With our current diversity, I could keep a Fm line, an all white Nn line, and continue with my meat hybrids.

We are currently getting 3 dz eggs a day, a little bit sooner then I had expected for 5 month old birds. Pretty pleased so far. Most of the Nn are significantly smaller then our non-Nn crosses. We'll see.

The "nn" refers to fully feathered birds, without any naked neck gene. He will never give Nn or NN birds except if you breed him to a Nn.

Nn gene is dominant.

NN= Naked necked.
Nn= large bibbed bird.
nn = fully feathered.

NN= Naked necked.
Nn= large bibbed bird.
nn = fully feathered.

I thought I understood this well but I am confused now. my new birds come from a large bibbed flock but they all are naked necks. what are they? if all the birds hatch with a naked neck they are NN, right? the large bib is confusing me.

btw, 1 of my new birds turned out to be a cockerel. unfortunately he has 5 toes and goes to the pot. I have ordered the other 3 girls.

I thought I understood this well but I am confused now. my new birds come from a large bibbed flock but they all are naked necks. what are they? if all the birds hatch with a naked neck they are NN, right? the large bib is confusing me.

btw, 1 of my new birds turned out to be a cockerel. unfortunately he has 5 toes and goes to the pot. I have ordered the other 3 girls.
If they show naked on the neck then they're naked necks.

The above chart just show the purity of the naked neck.

But to answer your question. Two large boned birds can produce a totally naked necked offspring. It takes two copies of the gene to make a (NN).

To explain a little better:
NN is two copies
Nn is one copy
And nn is no copies.

When you talk about large bibs, you're talking about the bowtie poof on the front of the neck, right? Will NN vs Nn have an affect on overall body size?... or is that unrelated?

Yes, he talks about that bowtie. NN's don't have it at all or have just a few small feathers and Nn's have big bowtie that covers almost all the neck when you look it fron the front. It is only a sight to know if your bird has two copies of naked neck gene.

And it doesn't have anything with size of a bird, I think he only spelled it wrong way.

Yes, he talks about that bowtie. NN's don't have it at all or have just a few small feathers and Nn's have big bowtie that covers almost all the neck when you look it fron the front. It is only a sight to know if your bird has two copies of naked neck gene.

And it doesn't have anything with size of a bird, I think he only spelled it wrong way.
What he says.

If they show naked on the neck then they're naked necks.

The above chart just show the purity of the naked neck.

But to answer your question. Two large boned birds can produce a totally naked necked offspring. It takes two copies of the gene to make a (NN).

To explain a little better:
NN is two copies
Nn is one copy
And nn is no copies.

Nn crossed with Nn should give about 25% nn?

we have here a flock that looks like Nn and give all naked necks, mostly Nn looking and some NN, no nn at all. they have very long bodies, they don't look like my other Nn. and they lay snow white eggs while my other Nn lay tinted eggs.

Back
Top Bottom