Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Georgia Boy, here's one of the black skinned chicks. Actually the NN chicks are more charcoal skinned than black.
You have really good looking birds. This time next year I hope to have some black/charcoal skinned birds from my one pullet.The dark skin looks good on the blue/black/splash birds but I want to have the dark skin naked neck in other colors. Hopefully next week when I am off for the week of the 4th I plan to take some updated pics of my naked necks.

Congratulations oldorchardfarms! Makes me wonder how many people are breeding for the SOP...probably not many. They're so much fun to mix with other breeds. Way to represent Fred!!!

We thank you very much,no there is not alot of people breeding for the sop,but there is a ton of other breed's that fall in the same class as the nn,so It is very rewarding to win with our nn's,and it does cause alot of stir amongst the other breeder's when we win.

Two splash NN and one BLR NNs from Nava. I started out with eight and gifted four to friends.

Headless body of Splash BLR NN in middle, Blue Splash NN in front, home bred, dirty white ameraucan in rear.

My four large beautiful NNs live with three home grown pullets. White Am x white am, White am x blue marans and I guess a bearded buff bantam polish X white am.

Bearded, bantam buff laced polish X white ameraucana could be and interesting ee since she came from a blue egg. Her beard is nice,I guess she is splash ! Heavy duty aviary netting is causing the pattern on all the birds.

Last edited:
KKH and flower - We have eggs here! Its 110 degrees and their laying! Crazy I tell ya!

I just had an OMG moment a couple hours ago, I found my Blue Laced Red pullet in the corner of the coop with her head in the bedding and her neck was bleeding like crazy, blood on her, feathers, and on the bedding. I brought her inside and got her cleaned off, dried off her cuts on her neck, put some salve on them and put some Band-aids on the bad cuts. She is in the dining room in a big rubber-maid tub with a big bowl of water and a little bowl of feed and I have a light blanket that is covering 3/4 of the tub and she was drinking water like crazy when I put it in there.
Dang horny cockerals are to blame on this! They gang up on the girls and basically beat the crap out them. She won't be going back out for a couple days and the Cockerals are going into another pen where they won't bother the pullets because with this weather I don't want to chance anything!

SteveW hurrah for the eggs but so shocking to find a bird covered in blood. Roosters can be truly cruel in my experience but then hens can have a nasty side also. I am betting that the pullet will heal but wonder about keeping the rosters together. Remember I just had a demise from two roosters penned together. In fact my only full grown males is an oversized silkie. He tries to be a terror but is only comical.

If you have lots of space with cocks, they usually are fine (provided that they are not a particularly aggressive breed). I currently have 7 adult cocks and probably 5 cockerels (my last hatch look to be all male). They go into 3 coops at night and the occupants of the coops split off into the same three groups by day who don't fight with each other. Adult males who haven't worked out their pecking order will almost inevitably fight if they are cooped up.

The occasional really aggressive male just cannot stay.

If you have lots of space with cocks, they usually are fine (provided that they are not a particularly aggressive breed). I currently have 7 adult cocks and probably 5 cockerels (my last hatch look to be all male). They go into 3 coops at night and the occupants of the coops split off into the same three groups by day who don't fight with each other. Adult males who haven't worked out their pecking order will almost inevitably fight if they are cooped up.

The occasional really aggressive male just cannot stay.
My one RBLW has 8 stitches in the back of her head from a rather aggressive pullet.My husband is a vet and stitched her up in the back yard. She is very aggressive when any of the other hens come any where near me.I have had to stop picking her up and carrying her around; the aggressive one that is . I feel bad but that seems to have worked. She is more protective then my cattle dog ever was( OK maybe not).

Oh boy, when the hens are like Rottweilers, then you have a problem. I'm very lucky not to have anything at all aggressive ....which is just as well as I have a cat, a kitten, a dog, many chickens and chicks and about 100 sheep....including two rams over 100kg each. Everybody has to get along or it just wouldn't work.

Carrying around adolescent roosters who are under the influence of raging hormones under your arm and parading them in front of the hens cures most of their displays of aggression, but never had to do it with a hen.

Back
Top Bottom