Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I live in sw idaho. I added a turkin to my flock this spring, but now that it's getting cold, I'm getting concerned about her. I have a multi-breed flock with 3 bantums, and 4 full-sized birds. Their coop is 4 ft high, 4 ft wide & about 3 ft long. My access is one wall. We have a vent on one wall & a chicken-sized door on the other going to an enclosed run. The coop isn't insulated & i don't have a heater. They have free range outside, but i lock them in at night. Its gotten down to the teens at night before, and our typical day temperatures run 20s to 40s. Is there anything i should do to help her? I've never got frost-bit combs, but mine don't have big combs. I've not had issues with the cochin, polish, wydonott, or black star (black sex-link). We have gotten up to 8" of snow at a time. I try to provide them a road to the water, which is in a heated water bowl next to the house. I also usually but straw in the coop & make a little windbreak outside the cage, since our winds are vicious.

Treat your NN the same as you should all your flock. Feed them well, supply fresh clean water at least twice daily and you will find the NN is like as hardy as any other bird you have and more hardy than most.

All chickens need fresh air but none of them need serious drafts and snow or rain blowing in on them and their bedding.

Under really harsh conditions, I would bet the NN would be the last bird standing but I hope you can make their lives very comfortable.

TURK

Does anyone in here work with NN bantams? I've just hatched out a few with more eggs in the incubator. Working on developing a black mottled color. So far they all hatch out white but apparently within two to eight weeks they end up getting black in. So far one has much more black than the other of my older two.

This breed is the rooster's favorite, we have one NN and we hatched eggs last month there were 8 eggs and all were NN, My girl Fancy loved show and along with her Friend Helton (RIP) was thee first time that my county has had NN show, and I heard that as long as they doent have feathers on there neck they can show, I was also woundering if I was the only one who pluckede my chicken's necks so that the kept looking exactly like a NN

I don't know about birds but when showing rabbits and dogs it called "stripping". The plucking of unwanted white hair. It is commonly done but publicly frowned on. Most breeders won't admit to it but many do it.

I don't show, but if I did I wouldn't pluck any feathers, especially if it were to do better in the show, I would view it for myself as cheating.

Absolutely! Plus, anyone who knows the breed would be able to see the feathers had been plucked, I suspect. Besides, what good are false wins, even if you can get by with it? Just get better chickens!!!!!!

TURK

I don't know about birds but when showing rabbits and dogs it called "stripping". The plucking of unwanted white hair. It is commonly done but publicly frowned on. Most breeders won't admit to it but many do it.

Having shown Airedales, Giant Schnauzers, Irish Terriers etc, over the years with my dad....I know what 'stripping' actually is. Plucking out a white hair AIN'T it. lol It is NOT frowned upon but rather is part of getting the dog ready for presentation and without the process, the dog might be excused...In any case, it wouldn't place, much less be put up.

Some kind soul would likely pull you aside and gently explain the situation.

TURK

My cockerel is 14 weeks now. Any idea when NNs start to crow? He's a big, beefy guy already tipping the scale at 4 pounds. He's as mellow as can be and avoids confrontation at any cost. We sold his two brothers so now it is just him and the two older roosters. When do the NNs usually start to try to breed with the hens? The Ameraucana was trying to seduce the girls around 15 weeks. I'd love to hatch out some NN chicks for spring...just need to decide which hens to pair him up with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom