Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Are there any hens with lots of streaks, pencilling, almost all over them?  Especially ones with salmon breasts? Or roosters with duckwings?    Those are the best bet for crossing with silvers. If the silver bird is pure for Co, the chicks will grow up white with black tails but breed them again and there will be more pattern variety in the second generation..

If there are only black tail reds or black tail whites, no other pattern then it is about impossible to get other patterns out of these..

I have some kind of salmon or wheaten.. I don't know exactly. I will give you some pics of all chickens when I will be at my grandma's. She also has two chickens that are dark brown colored, like leghorns. And I would like to breed them with white columbian rooster. Is that combination going to give me some silver?

Hi Phill98.  I have a friend who consistently breeds Grand Champion Buff Orpingtons by keeping a small flock of quality birds (Dragon Lady) and she has done so for many years...not a flash in the pan.

I also know some people that have lot of chickens but small number of same breed and they are also winning on competitions. I am only going to keep chickens for eggs and fun.

yesterday my white naked neck hen she was fine and she layed and this morning i went to the coop and she there fine now i went again and she was dead ,any sigh of illness because she layed yesterday i wonder what happened to her

@ ochochicas....Just curious...you say one of your hens succumbed to Marek's Disease. Was that pinned down with a clinical autopsy?
Yes, I sent some limping pullets to the lab and they were confirmed to have Marek's. It has been a very rough spring for me. I lost nearly every chick I hatched in the fall in addition to a couple of cockerels I got in the winter and one hen that was a year old. Before I knew they had been exposed to Marek's I gave some started chicks to a neighbor and they died too. Fortunately all her other birds are old and should be immune to it at their age. It probably adds up to two dozen dead birds...I'm afraid to do the math
sad.png
The only survivors were the big pea-combed turken rooster that you liked and two Australorp hens.

In the name of science I am conducing a vaccine protocol experiment this year. I hope to be able to help others and save some chicks in the future. Every single chick I have will be vaccinated (some of them twice). I will write up my results next winter. It will mostly likely be published as an article on BYC.

My first set of double vaccinated chicks just turned 2 months old - four turkens and three feathered chicks. It takes up to 6 weeks for the body to create maximum immunity after the vaccine. I'm just now transitioning them to the barn where they will be exposed to the virus all day long.

Apparently I have an extremely virulent strain of Marek's in my flock. If anything survives after being vaccinated, we'll know the vaccine actually works! If they don't survive I'll be done with chickens. I'm really tired of culling my precious chicks, but I'm not giving up yet! The only good thing about it is that I get to keep more chicks so I can do my "experiment".
lol.png

Yes, I sent some limping pullets to the lab and they were confirmed to have Marek's. It has been a very rough spring for me. I lost nearly every chick I hatched in the fall in addition to a couple of cockerels I got in the winter and one hen that was a year old. Before I knew they had been exposed to Marek's I gave some started chicks to a neighbor and they died too. Fortunately all her other birds are old and should be immune to it at their age. It probably adds up to two dozen dead birds...I'm afraid to do the math
sad.png
The only survivors were the big pea-combed turken rooster that you liked and two Australorp hens.

In the name of science I am conducing a vaccine protocol experiment this year. I hope to be able to help others and save some chicks in the future. Every single chick I have will be vaccinated (some of them twice). I will write up my results next winter. It will mostly likely be published as an article on BYC.

My first set of double vaccinated chicks just turned 2 months old - four turkens and three feathered chicks. It takes up to 6 weeks for the body to create maximum immunity after the vaccine. I'm just now transitioning them to the barn where they will be exposed to the virus all day long.

Apparently I have an extremely virulent strain of Marek's in my flock. If anything survives after being vaccinated, we'll know the vaccine actually works! If they don't survive I'll be done with chickens. I'm really tired of culling my precious chicks, but I'm not giving up yet! The only good thing about it is that I get to keep more chicks so I can do my "experiment".
lol.png

I wish for you the best of luck!

So I just butchered and processed my first fully feathered (and rather mean-tempered) cockerel. I now have that much more appreciation for NNs, and I'm thinking that ALL of my future breeding projects should include making the progeny "less feathered".
wink.png

He was a handsome BR cockerel...28 weeks old, and processed out at 4.78 pounds. These are photos of him when he was younger, and my avatar is him as a chick. He'd become so aggressive that I couldn't even get more recent photos of him without him charging at me. Now...he'll be the first bird I cook up in my new pressure cooker.

Back
Top Bottom