Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Well Christine, got my answer to my question before you got to come on. It is only day 19, I have a pip. From Zen. On the wrong end!! Stinker. :/

It's big pip, and it isn't at the very tip, in fact, almost in the middle..but is just past the middle toward the tip. I am thinking from the size of that pip, it is going to go to work on that egg. I guess I best set up my brooder. Whoot! Here we go. May not get any other to pip until tomorrow. So, if this chick makes it, it will be lonely for a while. I have the perfect solution. A small hand/kitchen towel. They love hiding under them when just hatched. :)

I had three eggs pip breech, but every single one of them made it out on their own. I don't know why those little buggers refused to pip at the proper end, but I'm glad they all made it without assistance. I hate having to help them out. I always wrestle with whether or not it's a good idea. Luckily Zen's eggs are pretty big, so hopefully there's plenty of room for the chick to unzip. And Zen comes from strong stock, so I expect her chicks to be just as determined as their mama is.
wink.png

I have 48 more eggs in the incubator. Due to hatch 4/29/17.
Naked Necks and some that will be fully feathered.

Should be very colorful chicks.

20 of the eggs are from my two green egg layers. So if your looking for some colorful eggs to add to your egg basket keep me in mind.

For anyone in the Arkansas area that are interested.

Last edited:

20 of the eggs are from my two green egg layers. So if your looking for some colorful eggs to add to your egg basket keep me in mind.

good luck with your hatch.

I wish I was near to grab some.

@Kev
Are familiar with "The Classroom at the Coop". Found a reading place there on Mealy Grey aka Silver Quill. I've about decicded that is what these chickens I've been calling Silver Partridge really are.
But I still got them from the Cinnamon rooster and out of the Mottled Partridge hens.

Time for baby pictures! I'll only post a few of my favorite little mysteries so I don't overwhelm anyone.

Chick #1: Everything about this chick screams "cockerel" to me.

Chick 6: Really unusual combo of colors. I've got brown, grey, yellow...making the chick look a little green, actually. It's got a cream colored dot on the top of its head, so I'm suspecting cockerel.

Chickk #7: My platinum chick. If it's a girl I'll call her Marilyn. If it's a boy I'll call him Monroe.
wink.png

Chick #8: All black, except for the toes:

Chick #10: Mostly black with white war paint. I'm pretty sure this one's a cockerel.

Chick #13: Feathered shanks, EE puffy cheeks....This fuzzy little one stole my heart:

And finally, Chick #16 - my party-all-night chick that simply couldn't stay awake for the photo shoot. This one also has EE puffy cheeks.
smile.png

Last edited:

Good luck - looking forward to photos. You always have such interesting chicks!

Time for baby pictures! I'll only post a few of my favorite little mysteries so I don't overwhelm anyone.

Chick #1: Everything about this chick screams "cockerel" to me.

Chick 6: Really unusual combo of colors. I've got brown, grey, yellow...making the chick look a little green, actually. It's got a cream colored dot on the top of its head, so I'm suspecting cockerel.

Chickk #7: My platinum chick. If it's a girl I'll call her Marilyn. If it's a boy I'll call him Monroe.
wink.png

Chick #8: All black, except for the toes:

Chick #10: Mostly black with white war paint. I'm pretty sure this one's a cockerel.

Chick #13: Feathered shanks, EE puffy cheeks....This fuzzy little one stole my heart:

And finally, Chick #16 - my party-all-night chick that simply couldn't stay awake for the photo shoot. This one also has EE puffy cheeks.
smile.png

love.gif
The first one seems to me like he wants to launch into a series of show tunes.
lol.png

S&G broiler strain NN weights again today. The original largest "boy" is definitely a girl, and she's so friendly she;s bucking for a "puppy #2" type name. She's a lovely buff color (and is over 2.5 lbs at 6 weeks.) The largest boy is over 3 pounds at 6 weeks. Also some sad (though not unexpected) news - the tiny tiny boy was the last one I caught to weigh, and I discovered that he had huge healing deep gashes and flesh missing on either side of his vent. It was late, so I did first aid and blukote, but when I took him back to the brooder, it was clear very quickly that they were going to keep going after him, and it was very likely that I would go in in the morning to find him eviscerated. Although I realized I would have to cull him (he was always "not right" and that may have triggered the others' behavior), I had not done it yet, but I realized that I had to right then - he deserved a better end than what he would get in the brooder. It was necessary and the right thing to do, but still sad (always a little sad). He's the lowest line at the very bottom of the graph and #63 on the table. The other small ones are females and growing and look healthy if small - I'll keep watching them.

- Ant Farm

Edit to clarify - the other two "small" ones are only small relative to the others in this group. You'll note that they, as females, are still at or just under Tank's weight at the same age.

Last edited:
Posting some pretty pictures of my Aloha NNs as they grow out. I think they are 7 weeks now. Of 25 I ended up with 19 boys and 6 girls.
th.gif

- Ant Farm

with so many boys you're just about ready to open a fried chicken stand
sad.png
What an interesting range of colours and styles, which cockerel are you thinking of keeping? Sorry to hear about your chick cull
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom