Naked Neck/Turken Thread

this one arrived with parson's nose eaten to the bone:
kusava cela.jpg

her wound healed but she still has some white feathers due to her injury.

she has another defect, 5 toes (not from some strange cross) so she will be in my laying flock:
5 toes.jpg

IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
I have pictures. Two of the three are Aloha's but will be used in the NN project so I'm justified in posting here.

There are three birds two shots of each.

1-2). Aloha cockerel. Will be saving this one for a breeder. He will go with a few select Red NN hens.

3-4). Aloha hen. She will be out with her grandpa to make more Aloha's. Possibly will put her with something else a little later for more NN's.

5-6). A NN cockerel. Probably will not keep. He's a bit on the smaller side and since I'm trying to improve size on the flock I don't think he'll work that well. I still have his
daddy and he is much more colorful than this cockerel.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;:
Yesterday was cull day on the littlest. They're almost 2 months old. Heavy on the cockerels from this hatch.

Culled out 12. Mostly small ones that won't fit the program. There seems to be ( haven't done a accurate count on the 24 chicks left), but I probably have another 12 to 14 cockerels.

Since the Black/White project was mostly destroyed these chicks were hatched to see if I could get more Blacks and Whites. I don't see any pure Blacks but I think there are three white ones. My luck though two of tggm are cockerels. Keeping both as insurance though.
I do have 1 solid Black pullet from the previous hatch (hatch mate of the three pictured above) that is looking good though.

There is a young Birchrn cockerel in the youngest hatch that has grown faster than the rest ( actually he is a week older than the youngest, there were a total of 8 from that hatch) that is looking mighty tempting to keep. May keep just long enough to gag a nice hatch from him. Not sure though if he was from the Red Winged Black rooster ( I was using for the Black/White project) or from the Cinnamon rooster. There weee hens with both roosters that could produce Birchen.

I'm going to have plenty if cockerels for replacements. I'm planning on replacing all my rooster come spring next year, may be sooner if I get the young ones grown and look well enough for breeding.

Just before I left for work noticed broody black hen hatched two, was about to toss the eggs, been forever, lost track of time, too busy to pay attention. Both look white. I'll be up by afternoon to check progress of hopefully more hatching and update #s/ pics. DW not happy, I didn't tell her another was setting. Says we can't afford the chickens we have Lol!
Think I'm going to have to cull all non-Naked necks out and put them in the freezer. Going to be hard getting rid of the Jersey Giant's especially the rooster, grown quite fond of the ole boy....
I don't see any sense in having any chickens other than the naked necks now though.
Going to just keep the blacks and whites of the nakeds also.

View attachment 1058034 View attachment 1058036 View attachment 1058037 View attachment 1058038 View attachment 1058039 View attachment 1058040 I have pictures. Two of the three are Aloha's but will be used in the NN project so I'm justified in posting here.

There are three birds two shots of each.

1-2). Aloha cockerel. Will be saving this one for a breeder. He will go with a few select Red NN hens.

3-4). Aloha hen. She will be out with her grandpa to make more Aloha's. Possibly will put her with something else a little later for more NN's.

5-6). A NN cockerel. Probably will not keep. He's a bit on the smaller side and since I'm trying to improve size on the flock I don't think he'll work that well. I still have his
daddy and he is much more colorful than this cockerel.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;:
Yesterday was cull day on the littlest. They're almost 2 months old. Heavy on the cockerels from this hatch.

Culled out 12. Mostly small ones that won't fit the program. There seems to be ( haven't done a accurate count on the 24 chicks left), but I probably have another 12 to 14 cockerels.

Since the Black/White project was mostly destroyed these chicks were hatched to see if I could get more Blacks and Whites. I don't see any pure Blacks but I think there are three white ones. My luck though two of tggm are cockerels. Keeping both as insurance though.
I do have 1 solid Black pullet from the previous hatch (hatch mate of the three pictured above) that is looking good though.

There is a young Birchrn cockerel in the youngest hatch that has grown faster than the rest ( actually he is a week older than the youngest, there were a total of 8 from that hatch) that is looking mighty tempting to keep. May keep just long enough to gag a nice hatch from him. Not sure though if he was from the Red Winged Black rooster ( I was using for the Black/White project) or from the Cinnamon rooster. There weee hens with both roosters that could produce Birchen.

I'm going to have plenty if cockerels for replacements. I'm planning on replacing all my rooster come spring next year, may be sooner if I get the young ones grown and look well enough for breeding.

it is hen that gives size to the chicks. if you want bigger chickens hatch them from bigger eggs that come from hens with bigger mass. choose cockerels with nice colour as they will pass it on their chicks - of course in mixed breeds there might be surprises.

Back
Top Bottom