Naked Neck/Turken Thread

So I have this one chick with feather growth that kinda baffles me. I don't know if anyone remembers, but my base flock was up in Utah for awhile mixed in with a cousins flock. I had a naked necked brother and sister, two EE sisters, and a mixed breed rooster. I collected eggs as soon as I got home because they had a couple nice big RIR roosters and I wanted some offspring from them. Unfortunately we had a few power outages while the incubator was running and out of quite a few eggs I ended up with only 4 chicks. But they are very strong and healthy!
The one in question was the one that hatched first. A nice black cockerel that has remained the biggest so far. I'd been trying to figure out which ones were his parents and it's looking like he had the same parents as the other cockerel, my naked necked rooster and one of the EE hens. (Which is why I'm posting this in the Naked Neck thread) What's weird was that while the rest were growing their feathers in normally, he was only growing his flight feathers. He was two weeks behind the rest of them on growing in body/coverts, and for awhile looked like a true dinosour. He's the one on the perch here, at 4 weeks old.
View attachment 1086973

They're now 8 weeks and he's finally fully feathered but some things are just a little off. The saddle feathers he grew already look adult-ish. They're shiny and extra pointy, I've never had a cockerel grow them like that this soon. And that DUCK TAIL! His brother has a totally normal tail.
I can tell by the tiny feathers growing right above his feet that my naked neck rooster is the father because only he and is sister had feathered feet, and I can tell that his sister isn't the mom because he has the puffy cheeks of the EE girls.

View attachment 1086972

His brother is going to look like a spitting image of their dad.
View attachment 1086982
Anybody ever seen feather development like this? Any idea what to expect when he gets older? Could he be carrying some weird gene that could be passed on to his progeny?

In a word, yes, I've seen some similar feathering out patterns, but only in my black chicks. I don't know what it is about my black NNs, and it occurs irrespective of parentage including using one fully feathered parent of another breed crossed with one of my NNs. For some reason all of my black NN chicks feather out precisely as you described and showed.

Well, why not? Doing the fb instead? Did you see the latest photos of the last ones O hatched? Pretty...pullets.. I hope. Come on and say hi once on a while.

In a word, yes, I've seen some similar feathering out patterns, but only in my black chicks. I don't know what it is about my black NNs, and it occurs irrespective of parentage including using one fully feathered parent of another breed crossed with one of my NNs. For some reason all of my black NN chicks feather out precisely as you described and showed.

That's really good to know. Do you think you'll be having hatching eggs available any time soon? I could meet you half way to pick them up. I was going to get some from that "Rare Bird Farm" guy in Wilcox, but he's taken down his website and not responding to emails..... :-/

NOOOOOooooooooooo.... :barnie

btw hen finally stopped losing her chicks after pen switch around. Never found out what it was(her chicks was disappearing in twos and threes).
Glad you got the killing to stop, but wish you had been able to find out and take care of whatever was doing it.

Back
Top Bottom