Naked Necks in Wint

BunnyTheSlayer

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I hope this is the correct forum to put this...Any who. Here's my question....

I may have impulse bought a 1 year old "show girl" chicken from a lady I was buying Ameraucanas from. She offered me this fluffy little, strange looking, naked necked chicken for $5. How could I pass that up? I knew my almost 6 year old daughter would be over the moon to have her as her very own chicken. Now, however, as Im beginning to think on winter prep Im wondering...how in the fluffy chicken butt am I supposed to keep this gosh darn weirdo chicken warm? I live in central Iowa and it can get pretty cold here. Am I going to have to bring it inside so its little head doesn't freeze off? Do I knit it a scarf? Anyone with nekked necked chickens have some advice? She's like a fluffy little puppy and my daughter adores her. I would like to avoid the trauma of a frozen chicky. Thanks!

Naked necks have been surviving the winters for centuries. She should do alright with the flock in the coop. At roosting time or if she is cold she will bring her head down to her body just like the others do lessening her exposure.

Back
Top Bottom