Narragansett Turkeys, Anyone?

We have 7 we got from a local family... Our first poultry... Other then feeding, watering and cleaning... These have been very easy birds to keep ( I've had pet birds most my life but never "livestock" types). We figured we would lose a few or have some issues.... Ended up with 4 hens and 3 toms and My husband is wondering how we're going to house them all to butcher weight! Lol. It's a good problem to have. We currently keep them inside an old dairy barn as we have a very busy road a few hundred feet from it and I worry they will get hit. But by spring there will be a nice enclosure for them, ground froze before we could start. So despite being enclosed, parent raised , and cared for by newbies these guys have thrived. I went out of my way to find parent raises birds for the same reasons you are considering them. I do hope to raise some future chicks ourselves so they will be more friendly but they are abit spooky and shy at worst but very very curious and I am slowly winning them over with treats and tidbits.

Sassz, congrats on your new turkeys!
1f917.png

How old are they? I'm getting 3 Narragansett hens in a few days
1f60d.png
. These will be my first turkeys. I think they're about 5 months old. I'm getting a 8 mo old tom tomorrow, unfortunately I could get the same breed, he's a Bourbon Red. But I'm happy to have a breeding heritage group.

These are now separated from my other turkeys as they started laying about a month ago all eggs have been fertile so i will be selling all the eggs i do not eat because i do not need any more turkeys and have my hands full hatching other fowl here, these are 2015 hatch

Last edited:
Zaz, they are beautiful! Almost as beautiful as your peas! (Not)!!!
These are some of my first babies i raised i have enjoyed learning about them turkeys are pretty cool , i hope the hens make good sitters i am going to give them a couple seasons to see how they do i have 9 hens all together . i need them to hatch peafowl for me

I think these are a great breed of turkeys. Will anyone be selling eggs in the near future? thanks

rest

Aren't they so beautiful?! I have a 2 yr old Narragansett tom, my first turkey! I'm looking for a female for him. We're in Washington state. He's about 25 lbs, so need a female close to his size. Does anyone know of any for sale in the NW??

Back
Top Bottom