Natural alternative to Tylan

Oldhenhens

Songster
Jan 18, 2021
Central Missouri
I’m not in a situation that I need to treat at this time but I am looking for suggestions to natural treatments or supplements for respiratory infections. I want to have it on hand. Something where I don’t have to pull eggs as I am finally getting eggs enough to sell. Thank you for your suggestions!

I’m not in a situation that I need to treat at this time but I am looking for suggestions to natural treatments or supplements for respiratory infections. I want to have it on hand. Something where I don’t have to pull eggs as I am finally getting eggs enough to sell. Thank you for your suggestions!
I don't know of any natural treatments that would replace Tylan. Perhaps @Hen Pen Jem may be able to offer some tips.

That said, there is only a 1 day withdrawal period when using the correct dose of Tylan, so IF you were to have respiratory disease like MG and needed to treat symptoms, then Tylan should be considered so you can get symptoms under control.
Antibiotics are not a cure for respiratory diseases, but they do have their place for treating symptoms. Most respiratory diseases make birds carriers for life and flocks that have illness should be closed, respiratory diseases also affect production and quality, so it may actually better to cull birds that are symptomatic since it sounds like production is your goal.

So it clearly states the meat withdrawal is 24 hours, but the egg withdrawal is prohibited to use in layers.

It is made from fermenting bacteria found in the soil, so there is no natural analogous treatment. But there are natural foods with antibiotic properties. You could start there.

For example grape products (fermented), moringa, yogurt, cinnamin, turmeric, and honey. I found those from a search. I would add a couple more to the try-out list like ginger, tocash, boldo, and eucoluptol. A couple more ideas are honeydew extract, and a hydrogen peroxide drench. These are just ideas.

It's too bad for you that tyloson is not for use in humans, or else they would allow an egg withdrawal period.

Just as an overview, but it clearly states tylin cant be used in laying hens:

"Tylosin phosphate is a macrolide antibiotic found naturally as a fermentation product of Streptomyces fradiae. Tylosin tartrate exerts potent antimicrobial activity against Gram-positive bacteria. Tylosin phosphate is widely used as a feed additive for promoting animal growth. Tylosin phosphate is used for veterinary purposes against bacterial dysentery and respiratory diseases in poultry, pigs and cattle.

Directions For Use
Chickens should be treated for three days; however, treatment may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

RESIDUE WARNINGS: Chickens must not be slaughtered for food within 24 hours after treatment. Turkeys must not be slaughtered for food within five days after treatment. Swine must not be slaughtered for food within 48 hours after treatment. Do not use in layers producing eggs for human consumption. Honey Bees: The drug should be fed early in the spring or fall and consumed by the bees before the main honey flow begins, to avoid contamination of production honey. Complete treatments at least 4 weeks prior to main honey flow."

Last edited:

That is true, op may be interested in using the antibiotic if there was 0 withdrawal. For example Tylan 100 is on the farad list, and the indications are for laying hens, and there is no withdrawal.

These companies/manufacturers on the list have actually gone through the FDA approval process, and only the tylosin for egg laying poultry is allowed, so i assume most of the ones on your list are still valid, even if its from 2015. I did check tylan 100 would be usable with 0 withdrawal. A generic tylan not on the list would not be allowed, even though its the same, the manufacturers dont have approval.

So it clearly states the meat withdrawal is 24 hours, but the egg withdrawal is prohibited to use in layers.

It is made from fermenting bacteria found in the soil, so there is no natural analogous treatment. But there are natural foods with antibiotic properties. You could start there.

For example grape products (fermented), moringa, yogurt, cinnamin, turmeric, and honey. I found those from a search. I would add a couple more to the try-out list like ginger, tocash, boldo, and eucoluptol. A couple more ideas are honeydew extract, and a hydrogen peroxide drench. These are just ideas.

It's too bad for you that tyloson is not for use in humans, or else they would allow an egg withdrawal period.

Just as an overview, but it clearly states tylin cant be used in laying hens:

"Tylosin phosphate is a macrolide antibiotic found naturally as a fermentation product of Streptomyces fradiae. Tylosin tartrate exerts potent antimicrobial activity against Gram-positive bacteria. Tylosin phosphate is widely used as a feed additive for promoting animal growth. Tylosin phosphate is used for veterinary purposes against bacterial dysentery and respiratory diseases in poultry, pigs and cattle.

Directions For Use
Chickens should be treated for three days; however, treatment may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

RESIDUE WARNINGS: Chickens must not be slaughtered for food within 24 hours after treatment. Turkeys must not be slaughtered for food within five days after treatment. Swine must not be slaughtered for food within 48 hours after treatment. Do not use in layers producing eggs for human consumption. Honey Bees: The drug should be fed early in the spring or fall and consumed by the bees before the main honey flow begins, to avoid contamination of production honey. Complete treatments at least 4 weeks prior to main honey flow."
Thank yo!

I don't have any experience with Tylan, or respiratory infections in general, but if your still looking for a natural antibiotic than Oil of Oregano is a good choice. There are study's showing it being used for chickens. Poultry farmers use it on meat and egg layers that are raised without antibiotics. I can find an article stating its benefits. The article itself is on dogs, but it uses a snippet about use in chickens.
I have never used this on my birds, or other animals, but friends of mine swear on it for themselves. I have it on hand in capsules encase I need it, or my birds need it. A good additive to the poultry first aid kit for sure.

I don't have any experience with Tylan, or respiratory infections in general, but if your still looking for a natural antibiotic than Oil of Oregano is a good choice. There are study's showing it being used for chickens. Poultry farmers use it on meat and egg layers that are raised without antibiotics. I can find an article stating its benefits. The article itself is on dogs, but it uses a snippet about use in chickens.
I have never used this on my birds, or other animals, but friends of mine swear on it for themselves. I have it on hand in capsules encase I need it, or my birds need it. A good additive to the poultry first aid kit for sure.
Thank you! It’s ironic that I just saw a comment about it on a Facebook chickens group. I will have to learn more and add it to my list of things to have on hand for first aid.

Back
Top Bottom