Naturally Worming Chickens

I have been instructed by a vet,that you can use 1 clove of garlic for every gallon of water plus it is also helpful to add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the same container to control worms and keep their intestinal tract free of parasites...

you can start mixing oregano, ground cinnamon and garlic powder to their food supply along with boiled green tea and also boiled oregano water and allow to cool and then place in brooder for them to drink.

I am sorry about your baby chick, I use this wormer called Kroeger Herbal Wormwood Combination, I have used it for years on my dogs.  It is sold at vitacost.com (I love them) Link:  http://www.vitacost.com/Kroeger-Herb-Wormwood-Combination?csrc=GPF-696916100400.  It is around $6 for 100 capsules, I open them up and mix with sweet feed, I do not know what can be used to treat the little ones, sorry.  Best of luck.

Candace

BTW..  I would try the garlic, red peppers and pumpkins.  I dont think it will hurt..
[/quote

Thank you for the info on the wormwood combination. I bought some for my girls as a preventive. How much did you use daily?

goodpost.gif

There are several comments about using garlic to de-worm.

I am still somewhat new to chickens so I need some clarity. I read on a couple of sites that any type of garlic or onion is basically poison to chickens. This must not be true if it's used as a de-wormer but I want to be certain.

I want to de-worm my chickens but don't want to use man made chemical treatments. What is considered to be the absolute best remedies? Do pumpkin seeds really work well, cayenne pepper, garlic, diatomaceous earth, black walnut etc....? Not sure what or how much and if it's put in the water or feed how do you know if each one gets the proper amount?

Last edited:
i'm at my witts end with one of my hens. Ive tried two different antibiotics. garlic. oregano oil. still no improvement. she's gasping and wheezing like theres something stuck in her throat. could she have a bad infestation of worms? If I cant figure it out in the next week Ill have to euthanize her cus I have to leave town for work and cant ask my husband to more than he already has to do.

i'm at my witts end with one of my hens. Ive tried two different antibiotics. garlic. oregano oil. still no improvement. she's gasping and wheezing like theres something stuck in her throat. could she have a bad infestation of worms? If I cant figure it out in the next week Ill have to euthanize her cus I have to leave town for work and cant ask my husband to more than he already has to do.

Gasping and wheezing can be either gapeworm or a respiratory illness. For the former, use molly's herbals formula #1 at double the dose. For the latter, keep with the garlic and include lots of healthy, easily digestible foods. Also include fermented feed or other ferments such as yogurt for at least one meal/day - for humans, 80% of the immune system is in the gut so I imagine it's the same for animals as well.

A note on molly's: I am right now treating a severe (bright bloody poops) case of coccidiosis in my week-old Cornish x and 2-week-old heritage chicks. Even after just one dose (one tbsp in feed for 37 chicks) ALL were back to normal, healthy poops! I don't know about its effectiveness on gapeworms, but the active compound is delivered through the bloodstream so it will get into those worms as well, but perhaps in lower amounts as compared to intestinal worms.

There are many "weeds" which can treat various other diseases. Dead nettle works on pneumonia and bronchitis, mullein cures mycoplasma... do some researching and see what kind of medicine you have growing in your yard that you can feed to your hen or make tea out of (if she won't eat them).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom