NatureWise Feather Fixer pellet- anyone using?

If I could find I would be using it. I looked at our TSC and they don't have it:(. I bought a bunch of chooks that are kinda sickly, mitey, and molting
1f61d.png
. Since they didnt have the feather fixer I'm feeding game bird starter, woodpecker suet blocks and vitamins in the water. But I really had wanted to try that feather fixer feed...

I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia,. Canada, they listed Buckerfields in Duncan as a carrier but they havent heard of it, I would love to know if it is available anywhere in BC.

I'm interested in the mite aspect. My VERY well cared-for bantams get re-infested when I stop chemicals (D.E. doesn't do a THING for us!) probably related to a high sparrow population. I can't bathe the girls and totally hose and spray the coop in the winter!

Understandable. DE is worthless for mites since there is no residual, and when birds have mites in the environment, they just get infested again. In regard to chemicals. They can be organic or inorganic. Organic methods have proven to ineffective time and time again on numerous threads throughout this forum. People also don't treat their coops, or remove wild bird nests nearby that may harbor mites. They treat the birds but not the living quarters. I clean out coops about every 3 months by removing all litter from the floor and nests. I sanitize with Oxine AH or Biophene, let it dry. Then spray the walls, cracks, crevices, roosts, floor and nests with emulsified concentrates such as Permethrin or Ravap EC. Both Gardstar 10% Permethrin and Ravap EC are labeled for use on birds as well as premises, and are safe so long as label instructions are followed. My birds remain healthy and mite free for years of using that program.

Understandable. DE is worthless for mites since there is no residual, and when birds have mites in the environment, they just get infested again. In regard to chemicals. They can be organic or inorganic. Organic methods have proven to ineffective time and time again on numerous threads throughout this forum. People also don't treat their coops, or remove wild bird nests nearby that may harbor mites. They treat the birds but not the living quarters. I clean out coops about every 3 months by removing all litter from the floor and nests. I sanitize with Oxine AH or Biophene, let it dry. Then spray the walls, cracks, crevices, roosts, floor and nests with emulsified concentrates such as Permethrin or Ravap EC. Both Gardstar 10% Permethrin and Ravap EC are labeled for use on birds as well as premises, and are safe so long as label instructions are followed. My birds remain healthy and mite free for years of using that program.
Wow, if I had to go through all this for 20 years, I would have quit raising chickens! I clean 2 times a year, use no chemicals & have never had a problem. Guess I'm just lucky. I will probably go out & find all my birds infested now, since I opened my big mouth!

Wow, if I had to go through all this for 20 years, I would have quit raising chickens! I clean 2 times a year, use no chemicals & have never had a problem. Guess I'm just lucky. I will probably go out & find all my birds infested now, since I opened my big mouth!

Wow. You clean 2x less a year than I do, no chemicals, and doing it for 20 years. You must know much more than I do.

Last edited:
Geez, I surely didn't mean it that way, just saying if I had to do all that cleaning & sanitizing, I wouldn't keep chickens. This is a personal observation, not trying to put your method down! Sorry if I came off that way.

I live in central Va.I went to five tractor supplies.They do not carry it.I ask the manager if they could order it.he emailed their buyer.she never responded back.

I'm interested in the mite aspect. My VERY well cared-for bantams get re-infested when I stop chemicals (D.E. doesn't do a THING for us!) probably related to a high sparrow population. I can't bathe the girls and totally hose and spray the coop in the winter!
I suspect DE is the "secret ingredient" they add for mite control, since this description fits so few other things:
Quote:

The only other thing that fit's the description is Zeolite, which has similar properties and is volcanic in origin
It's pretty smart of Nutrena to give it a catchy name so they can charge more

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom