Nebraska, East Central??? Genoa/Monroe/Columbus Anyone?? Need info!

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
Well, it looks like we are moving to Nebraska, most likely in the next 6 months. Hubby is expecting the formal offer on Monday.
Looking for info on the area!! He'll be working in Genoa at the sand plant. I'm looking at a place up a few miles north of Monroe but we don't know if we'll be able to get another loan before that one gets sold.
If anyone can give me a heads up on what to expect please do! Opinions on the sand plant? Feed stores? Is the area big dog friendly? Decent vets? Vets that let you pay on account? Chicken requirements? Yes I'm bringing my silkies and my layers, not sure how but most of them are coming with me, we've spent too much time trying to get good looking silkies and now that we have a few, we are NOT parting with them!

Anything you can think of, I probably need to know. He hasn't accepted the offer yet, but we aren't in a position to turn it down unless it's really bad.

Well, since you are from the middle of nowhere Texas, you will be ready for the middle of nowhere Nebraska.
wink.png
I drove through Genoa a long time ago but seam to remember that is was a pretty area, hilly, green and on a river.

Columbus will be your nearest "big" town with a Wal-Mart, Menards, general shopping etc. I haven't been through there lately (been several years since I attended the community college there) but they should have some type of farm store such as a TSC or a Boomgaards. Otherwise, Grand Island is the next large town you will be fairly close to. Approximately 50,000 people and a large retail hub for central Nebraska. We have TSC and Orschlens as well as several co-op and independent feed dealers. I've never needed large quantities, so TSC is my favored farm store.

The BYC member Laskaland lives close to Genoa if I remember correctly. Maybe she'll pop in and tell you more about the area.

http://www.ci.genoa.ne.us/index.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa,_Nebraska

bow.gif

Thank you!!
Yeah the nearest town bigger than 5000 people is about 45 miles from us now. The county we live in only has about 1500 permanent residents. We like middle of nowhere
wink.png
Have to drive 30 miles one way to the nearest walmart, and it's literally the smallest super center they have in the company! Used to driving for groceries, clothing, doctors, everything already so that's no big deal.

Hoping to get property this time around instead of the 1/3 acre lot we are on now. We could have more chickens and larger garden space, fruit trees........

Back
Top Bottom