Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

MOST internal parasites are species specific; only a FEW cross species. So I would like to see documentation of this-- do you have the U of Maryland link??
Hey Arielle; you are right most internal parasites are species specific. However, there are many parasites that can cross specie under the right conditions, and many external parasites prefer animals but will feed on humans.

Here's that link you are looking for.
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/roundworms

Okay this is probably dumb question but what's with the bare feet? How are they getting from your feet into you?

Wouldn't you need to be eating off the floor to have cross contamination?

And on same thing we let them out sometimes to wander round the yard (as do the zillion wild birds) the day before i mow. Myself and the kids all go barefoot in the backyard (as i did as a kid myself) so wouldnt that be just as bad? Yet I've never had a problem.

Just wondering what I'm missing?

Yes there are a FEW parasites that can use multiple animals but considering the number of internal parasites this is limited to just a few.

Hookworms-- how is the life cycle stopped-- what animals are NOT hosts and can be used to break the cycle?

HOrses and sheep do not over lap the same internal parasites so running them over the same ground one after the other will break the cycles and reduce the contaimination and subsequent parasite load and recontamination of the land. A good reason to rotate pens.

( SOrry I can't see any utube videos due to dial up so I'll take your word for it. )

Dogs and cats are that are infected with hookworms (chickens on rare occasions) can also infect humans by stepping barefooted on hookworm contaminated feces. The hookworm larva can pass through your skin. Treatment is fenbendazole and/or valbazen for chickens. Simply wear shoes when walking outside in your yard and practice personal hygiene.

Okay this is probably dumb question but what's with the bare feet? How are they getting from your feet into you?

Wouldn't you need to be eating off the floor to have cross contamination?

And on same thing we let them out sometimes to wander round the yard (as do the zillion wild birds) the day before i mow. Myself and the kids all go barefoot in the backyard (as i did as a kid myself) so wouldnt that be just as bad? Yet I've never had a problem.

Just wondering what I'm missing?
Most often, eggs or larvae live in the soil and get into the body when you get them on your hands and then touch your mouth. Some can also get into the body through the skin.

Wow Dawg you got more sick pics
yesss.gif

Last edited:
That was the word that popped into y head --- zoonotics. GOsh haven't used that word since college!!!

Many good reasons to worm the birds and other animals and mange to minimize the worm loads. I push my kids to weat shoes outside. Between the dogs and the cats I freak a bit over sanitation. Wash hands freqently and wear shoes.

I do plan to change my methods. Knocking down the number of birds and moving them further away from the main house. I"m not hatching many chicks this year, and I"m reducing the number of adults. Need to configure a better system for a number of reasons including parasite management.

That was the word that popped into y head --- zoonotics. GOsh haven't used that word since college!!!

Many good reasons to worm the birds and other animals and mange to minimize the worm loads. I push my kids to weat shoes outside. Between the dogs and the cats I freak a bit over sanitation. Wash hands freqently and wear shoes.

I do plan to change my methods. Knocking down the number of birds and moving them further away from the main house. I"m not hatching many chicks this year, and I"m reducing the number of adults. Need to configure a better system for a number of reasons including parasite management.
You'll do just fine. Alot of it is common sense.

Back
Top Bottom