Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

My chooks are doing great. Started laying, day before Thanksgiving. They are slowly starting, and the most I have gotten in a day, is 3 eggs, but seems no ill affects after ODing them on the safeguard, so far any way!

It's VERY cold, very early this year, with no electric yet, it's been rough keeping their water from freezing...but am changing out their water often...they no longer want to go outside...we have snow and wind...so they are cooped up, most likely for the winter. I try to keep them occupied with scratch to help them stay warm and get them turning their bedding...give them 2-3 whole apples once a week also and have cleared up all the loose or runny poo's.

Have gotten 13 eggs, and one soft shell, laid at night on the poop board, frozen solid...so we are doing pretty good!

Thanks so much for asking! How are yours' doing?

So good to hear! I did a 3 rounds of Valbazen with my flock this fall to finally get rid of tape (and roundworm)I had been battling! Not only do the girls look fantastic, but their weight is good, and they are laying again! They have been laying all winter (if you can call it that in California!...but hey, my water freezes sometimes!) I have friends who insist they do not need to deworm their flock as their natural methods are working because they don't see any worms. Then they whine and fuss that they are not getting any eggs....I offer my deworming products to them and they refuse....I just shake my head and walk away.

In short, what is they best way to deworm my flock of Buffs. I found a tape worm, and have lower egg count. I noticed there eyes are a little puffey and cloudy. There are so many different methods, which seems to work for you. My birds have never been wormed and very in size/age. They are all caged, not free range. I lost 2 of my larger females in the last week before I noticed the worm. What should I do?

In short, what is they best way to deworm my flock of Buffs. I found a tape worm, and have lower egg count. I noticed there eyes are a little puffey and cloudy. There are so many different methods, which seems to work for you. My birds have never been wormed and very in size/age. They are all caged, not free range. I lost 2 of my larger females in the last week before I noticed the worm. What should I do?
If they were mine I would start with liquid Safeguard for goats or Safeguard paste for horses and I would dose them orally with .2ml - .5ml per 2.2 pounds for five days (20mg-50mg/kg). According to some studies I read, that will take care of most worms including some tapes. Are you sure the worms you saw were tapeworms?

This is what you need:

This

and

or

-Kathy

Last edited:
I found it on the back of one of there necks (pooped on maybe). It was flat, moist, and broke up easy. But not 100% sure.

So good to hear! I did a 3 rounds of Valbazen with my flock this fall to finally get rid of tape (and roundworm)I had been battling! Not only do the girls look fantastic, but their weight is good, and they are laying again! They have been laying all winter (if you can call it that in California!...but hey, my water freezes sometimes!) I have friends who insist they do not need to deworm their flock as their natural methods are working because they don't see any worms. Then they whine and fuss that they are not getting any eggs....I offer my deworming products to them and they refuse....I just shake my head and walk away.

I just had to worm mine again and I just did them in the spring, the older ones that is. I finally found some of the worms that I am dealing with but no clue what they are? They are blood red and 2 inches long. Any ideas? They got on my boots when I was in the coops and runs. I actually tracked one in the house before noticing it on my boot the first time. Last year, it made them look like they were adjusting their crops constantly. I limed the runs too.

I hear ya on the not worming. As a kid, I had worms from chewing my fingernails after playing outside. Had to get wormed LOL
gig.gif
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink, as the saying goes. All livestock needs to be wormed on a regular basis. Even pets...I don't get it either but what can we do???

I seem to have a tough time getting the young un's through their first "feet on the ground" part of their lives, but once they build that immunity, they thrive. The young un's I have now I got around end of April, first of May, so we are at that point of worm, treat for cocci, clean coops, a lot. I know it'll get better in a few months but gosh, this part is time consuming. Especially when it's just me doing it all.

I took Dawg's advise and am worming them directly and individually. That seems to work much better than the water method but I do have to give them more than recommended to get rid of the worms for some strange reason???? A tad baffled on this one!

The heat isn't helping either...ok whine over
wink.png

Other than that, we are doing great. I am trying that fermented feed and liking it. I started it to save on wasted feed and it worked. Not sure how winter will go and am over on the fermented feed thread asking some questions again, about summer fermenting. Adds to the chores, but really saves on the feed costs.

How are you and your chooks doing?

Oh and again, since it might get lost in this long post, if anyone has any idea on what these blood red, 2 inch worms are, I'd greatly appreciate knowing!!! Also, they seem more prevalent in the spring and when it rains for 3-4 days, as when we get rain here, it is a deluge and it's almost like spring mud season LOL.

So...I was surfing web for a pumpkin recipe, which led me to the BYC threads about using raw pumpkin seeds as a natural de-wormer, which then led me to this post. WOW! I am completely gross out by the pictures but better educated with the importance of de-worming the chickens regularly. Guess the pumpkins seeds should remain as treats not cure.

I have 4 healthy white Leghorns which we got since a day-old. I have been meticulous about cleaning out the poop trays and scope out all poop in the coop everyday, and rake the run daily. My chickens are 18 weeks old, not laying yet, they have always been either inside their "co-op" or in their "gated community". There is no sign of worm or any sickness, but I now understand that they can contract worms anyway by just walking on dirt and eating off the ground. While we have been looking forward to their first eggs, seems like now is a good time to get them de-wormed with Valbazen, wait another month to eat the eggs, then repeat the process with Safeguard in the spring. Does this sound right?

Thanks for this informative thread. I read all the posts and took tons of notes.

Welcome! And it sounds good. Rodents can carry worms, and worms can carry worms. Just have a nice regular schedule and you can worm them when they take their break from laying.

Just administered the first round of 0.5 ml Valbazen to each 18-week old chicks. My daughter helped wrapped each sleeping chicken in a towel, while I tried to pry open their beak. I kept mumbling "chicken's right, my left" in case I messed up. I was probably more nervous than the chickens. All went smoothly, thank goodness.

Just administered the first round of 0.5 ml Valbazen to each 18-week old chicks. My daughter helped wrapped each sleeping chicken in a towel, while I tried to pry open their beak. I kept mumbling "chicken's right, my left" in case I messed up. I was probably more nervous than the chickens. All went smoothly, thank goodness.
It was easy, right?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom