Need Advice - Chicken Death

emilyfrances

Hatching
Jan 16, 2024
I have a small backyard flock of 2 hens raised together (approx 8 months old). Last night a raccoon broke the door off of my coop and ate my Australorp, leaving behind one hen.

I have taken the day off of work to spend reinforcing the coop. How long can a hen be alone? Should I swiftly go buy another full grown hen? Will they get along, do they bond quickly? Rehome the single one? I’m at a loss right now and not sure what to do.

I have a small backyard flock of 2 hens raised together (approx 8 months old). Last night a raccoon broke the door off of my coop and ate my Australorp, leaving behind one hen.

I have taken the day off of work to spend reinforcing the coop. How long can a hen be alone? Should I swiftly go buy another full grown hen? Will they get along, do they bond quickly? Rehome the single one? I’m at a loss right now and not sure what to do.
If I were you I would buy at least one more grown hen, they can die of loneliness. Maybe if you had 3/4 total that would be good. You can find some on Craigslist

Are they quick to get along? The new hens?

I got down to one older hen once and she was obviously bereft when her sister died. Just standing in run staring into space. They def have feelings. She took to hanging with the dogs on the porch. I moved her into house in the kitchen at night. That perked her up. I bought some pullets via mail. She hated them but it gave her something to do. She came around eventually to the annoying children .

Back
Top Bottom