Need chemical help! Got LICE!

Badbaby05

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
I have 3 types of chemicals that I have on hand. DE, Chlorpyrifos 0.5% in dust form (the chemical is listed under DURSBAN brand), and carbaryl 22.5% this is the same stuff as Sevin dust but liquid and concentrated. They do for sure have lice and lots of eggs
sickbyc.gif
. I have them locked up so I can treat them in the morning but if this stuff is NOT SAFE for them I will go and get some Sevin dust tomorrow.

Plz let me know if you need more info on these chemicals and thank you in advanced!!

We actually use a horse fly spray that is labeled to kill lice, mites, fleas, etc. It's about $7 for a spray bottle. Easy to apply - much, much easier than using a dust. Plus, the chemicals you have on hand may not be the correct strength to be safe for your chickens.

I'd use something you know is safe. Sevin dust will work, but I personally like Adams Flea & Tick Plus spray for lice - quick knock down and it has an insect growth regulator to help control them when the eggs hatch. Plus, no dust up the nose:)

Kbagwell, I'd like to have the dosages so I can make a note in case I run into that in the future!

I LOVE Adams! My vet has recommended Adams for my other animals, didn't know I could use it on my fuzzybutts too!

It's hard to catch chickens to treat them. My advice is wait til dark and either dust them with 5% sevin or 0.50 drop of Ivermectin or Eprinex right between the shoulder blades.

My chickens are easy to catch...I go in the pens with them and corner them!
smile.png

The Ivermectin pour-on (for cattle) dosage is .25cc for bantams and .50cc for LF. We use a syringe WITH needle....its better to get precise drops on them. Put it on the back of the neck under all feathers and make sure it gets on the skin. If you don't have help holding the chickens, I would suggest not using a needle, just the syringe!

It treats 2 types of lice, mites, and several different worms.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I was in the same exact position as you just this morning! I spent about an hour reading over threads about this topic (there are SO many different suggestions... ugggg) So I threw up my hands and spoke with a local livestock owner at the feed store.

Here's the route I took earlier today.

Step One: Purchased a bottle of livestock permethrin dusting powder, and food-grade diatomaceous earth.

Step Two: Drove home

Step Three: Put on some protective gloves (and bandana to cover my mouth/nose)

Step Four: Gently hold the chicken in one arm and take a little handful of powder in the other and "fluff" it underneigh the wings, neck feathers, vents and belly

Step Five: If needed, apply more

Step Six: Rake out all the bedding from house/run.

Step Seven: Apply Diatomaceous Earth (DE) to all corners, flooring, nesting area and put new clean bedding in the house.

Step Eight: Dust with an old kitchen 'sifter' the run with DE. The chickens will take dust baths and roll in it (FYI- DE works as a preventative, it doesn't kill Lice as far as I know...)

Step Nine: If there are little eggs (white clusters at base of feathers) you may need to reapply Perethrin Dust in 10 days once eggs hatch (Dust doesn't work on eggs, just hatched lice).

Step Ten: Strip clothing, put in washing machine and take a shower
smile.png

Phew... I think that is it.

for lice--wood ash from wood stoves, peat moss and food grade diatomaceous earth, mix the products together and dust into the bedding and nesting materials with a sieve and also dust some on the chickens themselves but avoid their eyes and their food and water. You can get the diat. earth at feed distributors, the peat moss at a garden center, and wood ash from a firepit or fireplace. The ashes should be dry and not wet as wet ashes have something toxic and harmful in them. I believe the ratio is 60% peat, 30% wood ash, and 10% diat. earth, but check with an organic lice prevention websites.

Back
Top Bottom