Sevin Dust

Thanks. i have had Northern Fowl mites in the past assume that this infestation is the same but will check.

It early Spring here, I empty bedding and clean my coop this time of year. Getting ready.

I prefer to use Permethrin Spray but do not when it is cold. I need powder for those times and use sparingly.
If I were having to treat for the mites I would spray everyone and everything every 5 days for no less than four treatments to try and break the cycle of the mites.

My get list also contained a permethrin powder,
Look for garden and poultry dust. I finally found it not in the garden or poultry section, but in the horse section.

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_202839164.jpg
    IMG_20240322_202839164.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 1
@Brooks_ You get a gold star, thank you.

It will be some time before I return to Ogdensburg to get this. Excellent price for a 2lb quantity.

I did note that it is "25% Permethrin". I am confused: I have Gordon's Liquid Concentrate Permethrin 10, I had thought the ratio they provided resulted in ~1%?

Can anyone clarify?

Last edited:
A bit more data on "Sevin Dust".

Originally it contained carbaryl but was reformulated when it was acquired by GardenTech to contain bifenthrin, a pyrethrin variant.

Pyrethrins are derived from the chrysanthemum flower and commonly used as an insecticide. CAUTIONS are needed in their use.

Permethrin is a synthetic form of pyrethrin.

If i understand this correctly using "Sevein Dust" is now much the same as, for example, "Gardstar Garden and Poultry Dust"? (same regarding effectiveness, use precautions, environmental impacts, human & poultry safety)

Last edited:
A bit more data on "Sevin Dust".

Originally it contained carbaryl but was reformulated when it was acquired by GardenTech to contain bifenthrin, a pyrethrin variant.

Pyrethrins are derived from the chrysanthemum flower and commonly used as an insecticide. CAUTIONS are needed in their use.

Permethrin is a synthetic form of pyrethrin.

If i understand this correctly using "Sevein Dust" is now much the same as, for example, "Gardstar Garden and Poultry Dust"? (same regarding effectiveness, use precautions, environmental impacts, human & poultry safety)
That's interesting.

Back
Top Bottom