Need fast advice- Eye Injury, cause unknown

TopazMaster91

Songster
Oct 21, 2019
Lakeland, FL
Our Japanese Bantam rooster has an eye injury of some sort, I didn't see it happen so I don't know how it happened,
but my best guess is a badly aimed peck from a hen that didn't want any action; Today I noticed his left eye is swollen and he keeps it shut, won't open it, and he is a lot less energetic than usual, standing in one spot a lot, tail drooping, etc. I love this little guy, he's a great rooster to his girls, and I want to help him if I can.
Can anybody give me any advice? I'll attach some pics of his eye. If anyone knows what happened by appearance I'll be glad to know.
My only guess is he got pecked.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_183303_5.jpg
    IMG_20200910_183303_5.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200910_183337_8.jpg
    IMG_20200910_183337_8.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 17
Hopefully it is a peck injury to the eye and not a developing respiratory disease such as MG or others. I like Bausch and Lomb Eye Was, about $4 from the drug store or Walmart to flush out an injured eye. Plain saline 1 tsp of salt to 1 quart of water heated and cooled. Then apply either Terramycin eye ointment or if you cannot find that at a feed store, use a dab of plain Neosporin ointment twice daily after cleaning the eye. Swelling from an injury may take days to go down to see if the eye is damaged or intact. Good luck. He is a handsome rooster.
https://www.bausch.com/our-products/eye-wash/advanced-eye-relief-eye-wash

Hopefully it is a peck injury to the eye and not a developing respiratory disease such as MG or others. I like Bausch and Lomb Eye Was, about $4 from the drug store or Walmart to flush out an injured eye. Plain saline 1 tsp of salt to 1 quart of water heated and cooled. Then apply either Terramycin eye ointment or if you cannot find that at a feed store, use a dab of plain Neosporin ointment twice daily after cleaning the eye. Swelling from an injury may take days to go down to see if the eye is damaged or intact. Good luck. He is a handsome rooster.
https://www.bausch.com/our-products/eye-wash/advanced-eye-relief-eye-wash
It very much looks like a physical injury, his other eye is fine;
The injured eye isn't leaking any fluids or bubbling, it's just swollen and dark near the top;
I'm hoping it's a superficial injury that will heal, but even if it's worse and he ends up blind in one eye, we still want to keep him and prevent things from getting any worse if possible.
I'll look into the products you mentioned, we really only have Tractor Supply and Walmart near us, and no reliable vets that treat birds, so any treatment we do we have to do on our own..

You should be able to ask a clerk for Terramycin ointment at TSC, but I have used plain Neosporin or Polysporin without a problem. Walmart sells the eye wash. Let us know how he gets along.
Thanks! I'll have to get all this done early tomorrow.
Do you think it'd be a good idea to separate him for the time being?
I don't want him to get picked on or not be able to defend himself if a crotchety hen strolls by with an attitude.

Alright, we'll have all the stuff for his eye today within a couple hours,
we have a dog cage we can stick in the run and put him in,
so we're pretty much all set today;
question, how exactly do I DO an eye wash?
He's keeping his eye completely shut, I've never washed out an eye before,
so I don't know the best way to really go about it.
I have someone who can help me by holding him still.

Try to get him to relax and sit down. Pry the eye open gently, and holding the bottle slight down, squirt a few drops into the eye. Wipe away any crust or goo with a tissue. Apply just a dab of ointment onto the lower eyelid or as good as you can into the eye. He will blink and spread the ointment around.

Try to get him to relax and sit down. Pry the eye open gently, and holding the bottle slight down, squirt a few drops into the eye. Wipe away any crust or goo with a tissue. Apply just a dab of ointment onto the lower eyelid or as good as you can into the eye. He will blink and spread the ointment around.
Is it any easier to do this at night, or does it not matter?
He's not very used to handling; I can catch him easily right now, I was able to yesterday, but I don't know if he's going to struggle or panic when I start messing with his eye. If the time of day isn't going to make any difference I'll just get it over with ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom