Need help building crates/cages for livestock auction

themoldypeach

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Cadwell, Ga
I have 6 roos that I plan on taking to the local livestock auction this weekend. State law mandates the cages must be wire on all 4 sides & large enough for the animal to move comfortably. I have no idea what to do! I want to keep it cheap, easy, and light enough that I can carry it easily since I will be alone. Supplies on hand: plenty of very thick (heavy) plywood, 36 inch wide chicken wire, heavy-duty staple gun, poultry staples (u-shaped nails), lots of pallets (some broken down), lots of zipties & twine, and various leftover screws. My plan is to use the bottom of a water bottle ziptied to the crate for water. But other than that, I don't have a clue!
hu.gif

Are you going to keep these cages to use again, or are they going with the roosters?

If you can't use cardboard boxes with holes in them, the cheap versions seem to be some type of nail together a frame from scrap wood, staple on wire, put piece of cardboard on bottom for chicken to stand on (or put in half of cardboard box to keep shavings in)... if more than one rooster put multiple strips of wood across the bottom for support For the lid or whichever side you want to open, overlap the wire from the sides a little and tie it together.
Have also seen, make a circle with chicken wire, hog ring together, hog ring piece of wire on bottom, and on top leave enough loose to stick chicken in and tie that, put in cardboard box bottom to carry.
If you have 2x4 or stiffer wire you can make squares instead of circles also.

When I took chickens to the auction they were in cages. The auctioneer announced whether or not the cage went with the chickens when they were sold. The buyer supplies the 'cage' they take the chickens home in.

I got some really nice cages at that auction. PS Remember that you need to completely sterilize any cage you bring back from the auction.

When I took chickens to the auction they were in cages. The auctioneer announced whether or not the cage went with the chickens when they were sold. The buyer supplies the 'cage' they take the chickens home in.

I got some really nice cages at that auction. PS Remember that you need to completely sterilize any cage you bring back from the auction.
That's not the case here, unfortunately. Seller must provide the cage.

I may staple wire around a wood base & zip tie the top. My concern is the wire being too easily crushed. May need to do as Kelsie2290 says & hammer out a frame - not excited about that! At least, I can check out the other cages while I'm there & have an idea for the next one.

I take a cardboard box and use screen and tape it to the top . I find the screens in junk piles on the side of the roads that people throw out Hey its cheap and all involved here is Good packing tape . And some times the window and door frames are in good enough condition for a great projects in the future. Coop windows cage doors things like that . Great inexpensive idea.

You can not use cardboard or wooden crates or boxes as cages. PLEASE MAKE SURE NOT TO OVER CROWD BIRDS ESPECIALLY IN THE SUMMER THE HEAT WILL KILL THEM. Same with RABBITS. Some people use plastic milk crates with wire on the top, but you can not SEE or VIEW the birds so you wont get good bids from buyers if they cannot VIEW the birds you have for sale. Chicken wire with a feed bag in the bottom works great JUST MAKE SURE THERE IS A DOOR to remove said birds when time comes...nothing more frustrating than not being able to remove a bird once you get the cage home lol

I go to Dollar Tree or Walmart and by cheep clothes baskets (~$1 each) and some zip ties. Two baskets zip tied together makes the cage for a chicken. No getting cut on wire, hitting your hand with a hammer, or wasting an evening or Saturday morning building cages.

Back
Top Bottom