Need help calculating the cost of lost chickens PLEASE!

kgdubois

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
West Texas
hit.gif
About four days ago the neighbor's dog got into my chickens for the THIRD time (their fault, the dog is an escape artist and the person is never home) and killed nine of my flock. I have talked with the neighbor numerous times, and tried to get them to find a new home for the dog, but she refuses. I have other neighbors that have threatened to shoot the dog if it gets onto their property again. To tell the truth, I was so dang mad when I got home, if that thing had been in my hen yard he would have been dead...

This time, eight of my 7-month old laying hens and my gorgeous, wonderful RIR rooster were killed. The dog would get out of his yard, catch a chicken, and then TAKE THEM BACK into his yard to eat them. He must have been doing this all day long to get nine chickens.

At first, the dog owner felt very bad, and was willing to pay for the chickens. I asked her to pay $35 each, which I felt was very fair. She is now contesting that amount, saying that is ridiculous pricing and is refusing to pay that much. Can anyone help me here?

I think I saw somewhere on here where there was a formula for figuring out how much a hen would be worth, according to price of the bird, eggs I would have sold over her laying life, feed/supplies I had used, etc. I am at work and do not have time to research all of it, and was hoping someone could send me the link or lay it out here for me. I'm just devastated over the loss of my birds (they were all very gentle, would come sit with me & let me hold and pet them) and am so so MAD about this
somad.gif

Thank y'all so much, in advance.

The only real issue I have here is calculating in the eggs your hen WOULD have layed. What if your hen had died due to egg bound, had died of a sickness, etc? You cannot guarantee how many eggs any hen would have layed in its lifetime. Also, if you buy another hen with the money you are repaid, you are not only getting the cost of a replacement hen of the same value, but also all your eggs repaid by the ones the new hen lays. I say you look at Craigslist for comparable birds of comparable ages and price your losses accordingly.

Were you to go to court over a purebred dog killed by another dog, the judge would only give you the cost of what you paid for the dog originally...keep that in mind!
wink.png

BigDaddy'sGurl :

The only real issue I have here is calculating in the eggs your hen WOULD have layed. What if your hen had died due to egg bound, had died of a sickness, etc? You cannot guarantee how many eggs any hen would have layed in its lifetime. Also, if you buy another hen with the money you are repaid, you are not only getting the cost of a replacement hen of the same value, but also all your eggs repaid by the ones the new hen lays. I say you look at Craigslist for comparable birds of comparable ages and price your losses accordingly.

Were you to go to court over a purebred dog killed by another dog, the judge would only give you the cost of what you paid for the dog originally...keep that in mind!
wink.png

Good point. And how long would she have laid for? I say if you decide to calculate eggs in, only account for half of what you think she would have given you.​

Back
Top Bottom