Pics

Urte

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi everybody!
frow.gif

I bought these guineas three months ago.
The seller said they were Buff and Buff Dundotte, and for what I´ve seen in the internet they looked like Buffs for me too.

Middle pic is the Buff male, other two pics are the Buff Dundotte females, not laying yet.

I read that with a Buff male, no matter what color female, the offspring daughters are Buff, and males are are either mother´s or any other color parents may be carriers.

12 days ago I hatched 6 chicks, parents are Pearl Grey hens (daughters of Royal Purple hen) mated to a buff male. The result of this crossing is: 1 Pearl Grey, 2 Pearl Grey pied, 2 Royal Purple and 1 Royal Purple pied.

Either what I read about Buff crossings is not certain, or my birds are not genetically Buff, or a third option being all 6 keets are male.

Pease if anyone can enlighten me about genetics it would be appreciated.

Are the birds Buff or they may be other color? Sorry about the blurry photos.

Regards
Urte

It is almost impossible to tell anything from such poor photos. I cannot tell for sure, but it doesn't look like any of them are buff dundottes. Buff dundottes are fully dotted and none of these look to be fully dotted.

http://guineas.com/colorchart/color/buffdundottenew.jpg

The buff dundottes that I have seen do not have any gray (blue) feathers on them and it looks like your guineas have some gray feathers.

I don't know what you have but don't believe them to be buff dundottes or even buffs.

http://guineas.com/colorchart/
I took some better photos!!

Buff cock

Buff Dundotte hen

Pied Buff Dundotte hen

She looks lighter than the other non pied hens.

Hope now its better to ID them.

Wow! Lots of info.

Thank you very much.
This is what I love about poultry, the challenges and fun of breeding when you have no idea what you may get.

I just like to call things for what they are, thats why I'm so desperately trying to ID what color mutation my guineas are.

I guess that keets might help determine a bit more accurately if they are Buff, Blonde or Chocolate, Blonde is the only male, so as soon as brown hens start laying those keets will define what color they are.

Another final question, how do I select against Pied? I really don't like pieds, just keeping only non pied birds I will eliminate it? If there is a pied gene it will express right? Its not a recessive gene.

Regards
Urte

The W (white gene) in the U.S. is in a different location than are the other color genes. If 2 W genes are present, the guinea will be white and all other color genes and dotting genes will be suppressed. If your guinea looks white but has dotting, it is not a white guinea but instead it is one of the other light colored guineas such as an Opaline or Porcelain. Ivory guineas can also be mistaken for whites.

If one W gene is present, this will cause the Pied condition.

If you don't want pieds, eliminate any pieds or whites from your breeding pool.

In my opinion the light colors do not look great as pieds but the darker colors such as pearl grays and royal purples can make stunning looking pieds.

I suspect that Pintos are directly related to pieds but have not seen any genetic color information for them.

Great!! Thanks a lot.

I have some Royal Purples pied keets, I'll keep them because I've never seen Pied Royals, I may like them, but in general I prefer solid colored birds.

Thanks again!
Any further questions I'll come ask you again if its ok.
big_smile.png

I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability.

Good luck and enjoy your guineas.

Last edited:
Yes it was helpful.

So you are more inclined to say that I have a Blonde male and Brown hens?
If thats the case, could you please share with me your knowledge about this color mutations and genetics.

Let me see if I got it right, can a buff dundotte be Buff Dundotte + DSV gene? Or a Buff Dundotte with the DSV gene is called Brown?

Watching this color chart http://guineas.com/colorchart I can appreciate that every line is a color type with its three possible combinations of dotting, right?
My questions are:
1- How come that from the same breeder I got a Blonde male but Brown females? If the male is Blonde, hens should be Cinnamon, or if the hens are Brown shouldn't the male be Chocolate?
2- Is Blonde color a Chocolate + Blue gene that dilutes it?

When you say:
Then if you mate a Royal Purple male to a Buff hen you should be getting 50-50% Royal Purple and Buff keets. Have you tried that crossing to prove that there is a Buff gene involved in Royal Purple color?

Sorry for that many questions, I know genetics isn't 2+2=4, but I want to understand it the best I can.

Regards

You have to remember that this is just my opinion based on looking at your photographs. Seeing the birds in person might result in a different opinion.

I believe that a buff dundotte with a DSV gene would be a brown.

Since I don't know what the breeder actually has, I don't have the answer. I do know that many people don't actually know what they have. I have run across at least one case where a breeder (probably a backyard breeder) was selling pearl gray guineas as royal purples because that breeder and his buyers didn't realize that royal purples are only partially dotted and he was selling people fully dotted birds.

Theoretically a blonde has 2 buff genes and no blue genes. I suspect there is very little difference between a blonde and a buff other than the claim that a blonde is slightly darker than a buff which is described as being nearly an off white. Chocolate is said to be two buff genes with 2 DSV genes except in the claimed instance of a chocolate hen possibly having only one buff gene and still being able to express the color.

In the case of my Royal Purple (no claim being made that this applies to all royal purples), she was produced from a mating of a Chocolate male with a Coral Blue hen. She had to get one buff gene from her father and one blue gene from her mother. She got a DSV gene from her father and possibly one from her mother. She got a partial dotting gene from her father and a recessive no dotting gene from her mother. The dotting gene was shown by crossing her with a Powder Blue male which produced some Violet keets. They could only have been produced if she had a hidden no dotting gene which could have only come from her mother.

I can't mate my royal purple with a buff because I don't have any buffs. Breeding her to her father did produce more chocolates and royal purples.

I have not read anywhere that indicates that royal purples have anything other than the same dominant gray color gene that the pearl grays have. The only way that my royal purple could fall into that category is if there was a color mutation happening since the dominant gray gene would have prevented the recessive buff genes and the recessive blue genes of the parents from being exhibited.. I could believe in a color mutation if I had gotten a single royal purple but there are royal purples in every batch of eggs from my chocolate male and coral blue hen.

Sorry I can't remember the poster but there is a poster on here that always points out that the color genetics of guineas have not been researched well enough for anyone to know what the outcomes of any breedings will be as far as color goes.

Predicting the probable color outcomes from heterozygous color genes in guineas is nothing more than a guessing game. There is an old thread in this forum about color genetics that contains a guinea color calculator. I never kept track of it because it is inaccurate. It would predict fully dotted offspring from partially dotted and no dotting parents which barring a mutation is not possible. A dominant gene will not remain hidden in the presence of recessive genes. There were color errors also.

Have fun trying to figure out your colors and the colors of your keets.

Hello hello!

Back with some info and questions!!

Last time i wrote here I had 3 brown hens and a chocolate male, sad to say that the chocolate male was killed by a possum one night.

So having no male all I could get was a Royas Purple male, and now I'm hatching the only 13 eggs layed this season, really poor year this was. I set them every 7 days in the incubator so there are 3 different batches.
So far the first batch of 6 hatched last saturday, 100%fertility and 100%hatched. Second batch hatches on saturday.

Father: Royal purple
Mothers (3): Brown
The chicks are: 2 Pearl grey, 2 Royal Purple, 1 Coral blue and 1 Lavender.

Here, the questions:

- Is it possible to "create" colors of guinea by combining the other colors?

- Having Browns and Royal Purple, they both have the DSV gene in them, but, as they produced Lavs and CoralB chicks they obviously both carry light genes right?. Is it possible that maybe crossing Lav or CB siblings to eliminate the DSV I can get Buff and Buff dundottes as progeny???

- Or if I cross a Coral blue son to a Brown mother can I get Brown/Chocolate and Buff/Buff dundotte keets?

- Is there a web page or post here that may be helpful with all the color types and its genetics?

-Whith those colors I have, can I get eventually Porcelain, Opaline or Lite Lav with selective breeding?

Regards
Urte
Due to the base change in the Internet, many of the previously available guinea color information sites are no longer available. The GFIA is currently bringing their site up to date but I have no idea when their information will be available. Some of the other sites are probably gone forever.

There is also insufficient color genetics information for guineas. I strongly suspect that there are more color genes than are currently known and that the claim that Royal Purples have the same dominant gray gene that Pearl Grays have is not true.

Yes it is possible to create different colors by breeding the colors that you currently have to each other. There appears to be a very complex relationship between the recessive colors blue and buff meaning that there are a number of different possibilities from the combination of those two genes.

The DSV gene can occur in all color types which is why there are differing shades of Lavenders, etc.

I do not have any Brown guineas but do know a person who has Browns and Coral Blues. She has not been able to produce any Chocolates from that pairing. In order to get Buffs, you have to breed something with the buff gene such as your Brown to something else that has the buff gene. Coral Blues do not have any buff genes so you aren't going to produce buffs by using a Coral Blue.

The fact that you produced Lavenders and Coral Blues from your Royal Purple and Brown pairing indicates that your Royal Purple has a recessive blue gene and at least one of your Browns has a recessive blue gene since both Lavenders and Coral Blues each have two recessive blue genes. Blue showing up does not have anything to do with the DSV gene. In a case where there are two blue genes and a DSV gene, the guinea will have a darker shade of blue than one that does not have the DSV gene.

These are the only color information links that I have that are currently working.

Guinea Fowl Genes and Comments

Color Genetics of Royal Purple Guineas

Guinea fowl plumage color inheritance

Anyone else having trouble connecting to the links? I know the International Guinea Fowl Association is updating their site. Have they disabled old links? I can't seem to find their color chart that I used to refer to.
The GFIA is down for the most part. Their rebuild is going really slow. The forums are now in place but there is only one actual post and none of the old forum posts have been incorporated at this time. When they get the Color Chart back up they have a place for it. Their Articles section is up but not completed thus leaving out their Color Genetics article. They do not have the staff or support that BYC had when switching over so how long it is going to take is not known.

All the FritsFarm links have been gone from even before the Internet change and I have not seen any evidence that they will be coming back. The same thing applies to the Guinea Fowl Breeders Association.

Clear as water! Thanks a lot on this genetic classes you've been giving me.

So the three dotting genes can be added to any color variety in 1, 2 or 3 generations but eventually it is possible.

I'll start chosing what to buy from Guinea Farm then!

3 more keets pipping, I'll keep you posted on what hatches.

Regards

Hi everyone!

Update:
From the 13 eggs laid, 11 chicks hatched:
3 Royal purples: 2 males, 1 female (killed by neighbour's dog last month).
2 Lavender: 1 M, 1 F.
1 Coral blue: female
5 pearled: 3 females, 2 males.

As I'm trying to get more of the Brown/Buff color, and pearled is quite common I sold the pearled males and Royan Purple father, so all 3 males left are Lavender and Royal purple split to Brown/Buff color and kept all sisters and the Brown/Buff mothers.
Its mid Spring here in southern hemisphere, hoping for eggs any time soon now!!!

I'll keep posting on hatch rate and colors of keets obtained.

Question:
They were born around February 20th, they are 8 months old, and its mid spring, will they lay any eggs? or maybe expect sth in late summer due to their age?

Back
Top Bottom