Need help! Color ID

img_1699-jpeg.1625647

From left to right
1. Royal Purple
2. Lavender
3. Pearl Gray
4. Buff Dundotte - female
5. Buff Dundotte - male

The other three pictures I assume are of the same 3 keets.
img_1703-jpg.1625633

Left - Lavender Middle - Buff (possibly female) Right - Lite Blue (?) but if it is the same keet as the one on the bottom in the third picture, it looks like it is either a Lite Lavender or a Brown in the third picture.

Thanks Bob!!!

Yes, the pics of the three chicks are always the same 3.

Where could the Lite Lavender color come from?? Hidden in the Buff?

And doubts are clear now, no Browns then, just Buff Dundottes the original females I got this 2nd generation from?

14 eggs to hatch tomorrow, lets wait and see what other surprises may appear.

Hi, second batch just hatched!
IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1887.jpeg

I guess i got:
A pearl, Royal purples, Lite lavs, Lavs, Coral blues, Buffs and a Brown or Buff Dundotte girl??

Could you explain me about the DSV and why does the Brown line of colors need a blue gene + a brown/buff gene?

What color would be a genetically brown keet without the blue gene??

Thanks Bob!!! Yes, I understand the difference of seing pics and in person the colors may look completely different.

Sorry if I'm being annoying!

It's just that I want to know what color varieties I have so I can sell them for what they are.

Next batch of 29 hatches the 18th, so I'll give you some hollidays of my questions.

Lavender could be 2 x DSV and Lite Lavender could be1 or no DSV. It was my understanding that Porcelain had both blue and buff genes but the more I deal with guineas the less I believe what has previously been reported as guinea color genetics.
LOL it seems I'll spend years and years trying to figure out how does genetics in guineas work. Its fun anyways, and having big and super colorful batches like this one keep me going!

The black one is an OEG who keeps escaping his box and visiting the keets!!!

I would love to my guineas have hidden the new mutation: Black!!!!

I noticed the pied RP, also, could you please indicate whick keets look Chocolate to you?
So I can keep track of them and see if they grow up to be real Chocolates and then I may be able to ID them as day old keets in the future.

Final question, as they mature, will I be able to recognize Coral blues from Lite Coral blues?

I have never had a porcelain so cannot say for sure. It seems to have too much blue to be a Buff Dundotte which aren't to have any blue. I find the middle ages to be real difficult to really know what color they will be. There were good guides for what colors keets will develop into and good guides for what the adult colors look like. The in between stages are very poorly documented.

It is going to be pretty no matter what it is.
Thanks!!! I’ll be taking more photos as they mature! And posting them so we can debate which color they are.

Adult guineas, how early may start laying in the season??

I let them roam in the garden every afternoon and feed them game bird feed.

My experience with my birds is that they lay later each spring as they age. Weather can have an effect too. When mine laid their first spring, they started in mid April. This year mine did not start laying until mid May. I will be setting my first batch of eggs tomorrow.
Wow! Good data to have in mind! I thought they would lay as soon as spring stared once they were older. Well, I’ll just wait then and let you know what happens this year.
So yours this year is almost the same time mine stsrted laying too (having in mind the days left till summer day).
I’ll try to take better photos once the have fully gronw and molted and see if we can guess their colors!
Thanks for your time!!
Have a nice weekend

Hi everybody!
frow.gif

I bought these guineas three months ago.
The seller said they were Buff and Buff Dundotte, and for what I´ve seen in the internet they looked like Buffs for me too.

Middle pic is the Buff male, other two pics are the Buff Dundotte females, not laying yet.

I read that with a Buff male, no matter what color female, the offspring daughters are Buff, and males are are either mother´s or any other color parents may be carriers.

12 days ago I hatched 6 chicks, parents are Pearl Grey hens (daughters of Royal Purple hen) mated to a buff male. The result of this crossing is: 1 Pearl Grey, 2 Pearl Grey pied, 2 Royal Purple and 1 Royal Purple pied.

Either what I read about Buff crossings is not certain, or my birds are not genetically Buff, or a third option being all 6 keets are male.

Pease if anyone can enlighten me about genetics it would be appreciated.

Are the birds Buff or they may be other color? Sorry about the blurry photos.

Regards
Urte

It is almost impossible to tell anything from such poor photos. I cannot tell for sure, but it doesn't look like any of them are buff dundottes. Buff dundottes are fully dotted and none of these look to be fully dotted.

http://guineas.com/colorchart/color/buffdundottenew.jpg

The buff dundottes that I have seen do not have any gray (blue) feathers on them and it looks like your guineas have some gray feathers.

I don't know what you have but don't believe them to be buff dundottes or even buffs.

http://guineas.com/colorchart/

Back
Top Bottom