Need help finding *detailed* coop & run plans for 4-5 laying hens with walk-in run

Scifisarah

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Rockford MI
My Coop
My Coop
I am trying to help my mother in law find a plan for a coop and run, with detailed lists of what to buy, how to cut everything and what to do. There are lots of great ideas on BYC with lots of photos, but she is not as handy with building as her son and I, so would like everything spelled out, rather than taking her own liberties with reworking some of the designs like my husband and I enjoy doing. We are scrambling to get another coop of our own finished and my husband has two pulled hamstrings or else I'd say we could build one for her. Could anyone please suggest a good set of plans for 4-5 laying hens with an attached walk-in run/pen area for someone that has never built a structure before? I would like the coop portion to be up off the ground, so the chickens can go underneath when it rains and so pests stay out of the coop. Ideas?

Last edited:
Sounds like you may want what is termed a 'Chicken Tractor'

I built one just this last spring and it's working out just great.

I used plans from Catawba Coops and really like the design. The directions are illustrated and worded in easy to understand manner. I believe anyone could build one. They even offer a 3-D model to reference.

I've posted some pictures of the coop on my website here: Best Chicken Coop Design

I just recently added a 'chicken run' or an addition as my neighbor says!
smile.png
It slides onto the end of the coop and give the chickens more ground space to forage in. It even has it's own lightweight roof to keep them shaded and dry.

Good luck on your search and if I can be of any assistance let me know.

~Brian

Sounds like you may want what is termed a 'Chicken Tractor'

I built one just this last spring and it's working out just great.

I used plans from Catawba Coops and really like the design. The directions are illustrated and worded in easy to understand manner. I believe anyone could build one. They even offer a 3-D model to reference.

I've posted some pictures of the coop on my website here: Best Chicken Coop Design

I just recently added a 'chicken run' or an addition as my neighbor says!
smile.png
It slides onto the end of the coop and give the chickens more ground space to forage in. It even has it's own lightweight roof to keep them shaded and dry.

Good luck on your search and if I can be of any assistance let me know.

~Brian
Not really what I am looking for. I would like something with a walk-in run, not a tractor, and I really don't like the A-frame coops as they are lousy for space in my experience.

Try the Garden Coop. The plans are super easy to follow and understand. http://www.thegardencoop.com/ I built my coop using their plan, and it turned out fabulous! I have never built anything before the coop. I was even able to modify a majority of the components, size of the structure, and added a side piece on--the plan allows for a ton of flexibility. And I did it basically by myself, so if I can do it, any able-bodied person would be able to.

Try the Garden Coop. The plans are super easy to follow and understand. http://www.thegardencoop.com/ I built my coop using their plan, and it turned out fabulous! I have never built anything before the coop. I was even able to modify a majority of the components, size of the structure, and added a side piece on--the plan allows for a ton of flexibility. And I did it basically by myself, so if I can do it, any able-bodied person would be able to.

That is almost exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I like the walk in run, that the coop is off the ground, and that the roof is pretty simple. I will send her a link to that and see what she thinks. I looked at their Facebook page and they must be good plans for all the likes and great coops built from them.

Back
Top Bottom